Saturday, February 29, 2020

2/29/20 Leaping Sassafras, Second Track And Field Tournament?

    Today, Saturday morning, was Javalina's second meet and this one had a little bit of a different taste to it.  Initially, he came home saying the meet was in San Angelo ISD.  Without looking at the map, I know that is far away and said I won't be able to go.  This is one of the weekends Wife has to go to her classes, so I was going alone unless I could rally Boy to join me.  I also asked Javalina to check with his coaches as to where the meet was going to really be.  He then texted Friday during the day that he was wrong, it was going to be at St. Andrew's School.  That ends up being in the west side of town, about 5 minutes from the Sam's/Best Buy area in Sunset Valley, or 20-30 minutes from the house.  That is a destination I don't mind driving to.
    We were all in bed early last night although I did come down and tried to get our bills all lined up and paid.  Javalina was asleep by 9:00pm, Wife went to bed at 10:00pm, I went to bed at midnight, Boy said he hung around until 2:00am.  Javalina was up at 4:00am, I only got up to pee, but I checked that he had gotten up.  He then woke me at 5:40am to take him to school by 6:00am.  I don't know why we went so early, no one was there, not even the school bus.  It seemed like maybe he was wrong about the time or maybe the thing was next week.... we waited a good twenty minutes alone in the parking lot at school before the bus finally came and some other parents started showing up.  I came home before 7:00am, after stopping for some donuts, wrote a blog, then decided to go to bed and sleep another hour.
    I got up a little later than what I wanted, I heard my alarm, I just didn't jump out of bed for another twenty minutes, which put me at 8:30am.  I was sure Boy was going to take forever to get ready, but I called him once before I went in the bathroom and surprisingly, he was waiting at the bottom of the stairs for me after I brushed my teeth.  Javalina texted they were starting at 9:30am, but when we got there the JV girls were throwing before them.
    The weather was about perfect, maybe a little chilly when we got there, but the sun was shining brightly.  Within a half hour, the boys threw and Javalina is solidly in the middle of the pack.  Honestly, there were three guys throwing 32-34ft.  The rest of the pack was in the 28-31ft, which is where the 3 Crockett boys threw, all within a foot of each other.  Javalina seemed pleased with his throw, probably 28ft 4in.  After this, we walked to the other side of the campus.  The discus throw was very isolated, but I guess that is good as a discus to the head could be fatal.  They converted a softball field by placing a little stage with a circle within for the discus ring at home plate.  Javalina was hating throwing the discus until this week, when the other varsity boys stood up for him and told the other JV discus thrower to beat it.  He probably throws a little farther than Mijo, but they agreed they would rather work with our son because he is there every day, has a good attitude, and is interested in getting a little better every day.  I love that the other guys noticed his work ethic, that is the part that matters to me.  He again was in the middle of the pack, throwing a decent ~63ft.  If he ever figures out the spinning part of the throw, he could get very good.
    After this, Javalina asked me to take his JV crew to eat.  We ended up at Zaxby's but one of them didn't like it.  I bought him some $1 chicken sandwiches afterward at McDonald's.  I thought these new kids were interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment