Wednesday, February 19, 2020

2/19/20 Fixing Our Kia Soul?

    It is not what I would prefer but I don't think we have a choice.  We are going to have to fix the Kia Soul, I guess with a used engine as they offered.  We went in to talk to them and the salesman was trying to be friendly enough, he certainly kept saying he was a man of God and all that good rhetoric, but in the end, he was offering us something like $500 for our car since it is basically worth nothing in a non-running condition.  I mean I know it needs an engine, but the car is still solid, the interior is still like new, the leather is in great shape, the A/C works along with everything else.  Trying to see what would happen if we aimed for a Telluride, and they only had two to choose from, so we chose the nicer one at $39,900.  After working some numbers and a good hour or so, he came back with numbers like payments in the $900's, whether we were doing 75 months and also giving some where between $6000 and 10,000 down.
    I wanted to do the same thing at Ford, at least get a number of how much a month it would cost, but the guy said they could not take the car if it wasn't retail-able.  This makes sense to me, I almost wanted to try Carmax which did say they would take the car in any condition, but they would probably offer us $500 too.
    So I told Wife that we should just fix the car and drive it for awhile.  If she likes it and feels ok, then we keep it, maybe until the end of the year.  I told her she should trade with Boy weekly so that she splits the load of running back and forth between the two cars.  Hopefully, it can make her Kia last a little longer this time.  We will surely be looking at the oil more frequently.
    We haven't been playing games with the service shop, but in our indecision, they have come back twice with lower numbers to do the work on installing the new engine.  The engine itself is used and the first quote was for $5,000.  This would have come with a 12month/12 thousand mile warranty.  I asked the service guy if he couldn't do any better, maybe even find a cheaper motor.  He called a little later that the lady with the used motor was willing to let it go for $4,000, but no warranty of.  This does not sound cool, but it is a lot cheaper.  Originally, it was going to be $4,000 plus another $3,000 to install, then the guy knocked it down to $4,000 plus another $1600 plus tax to install.
    I imagine it will cost us around $6000 to get the car running around again.  We don't have much of a choice, we need that third vehicle.  This week, she took Boy's Edge and that means I have to pick up and drop off Javalina every day to school.  I already don't like this, I enjoy taking my time at work and not rushing home.  Oh well, hopefully, we are back to normal in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment