Friday, February 21, 2020

2/20/20 Playing Hooky, Sort Of?

    I never miss work, even when I am feeling like crap, I usually rally and drag myself in.  This Monday, was kind of a first for me.  I slept but not really enough to overcome and work all night.  It has been tough with the worry over what to do about Wife's car.  We got up Monday morning with an idea.  I had the thought that if we put the used engine they were willing to sell to us and install for under $6,000 that the car would be whole again and could at least get a valuation somewhere close to what the Kelly Blue Book might be.  I mean even at the Ford dealership they said they could not take the Soul as a trade if it wasn't in driving condition.
    We walked into the sales side and asked the same man who I was introduced as a very competent man, he seemed solid and mentioned God at least ten times, so you know he was of the earth and there to help us the best he could.  He suggested we not even try to fix the other car, it made no sense.  The best deal for us would be to put that $6000 towards a down payment to offset the costs of a new vehicle.  The closest we saw to what Wife had wanted in the Telluride section was one worth $39,995.  We sat there and waited patiently, and after seeing what he could do, our car was valued at $500, I believe, plus the cost of the new car and I don't know what else, but he was expecting us to pay close to $1000 a month for 75 months plus the $6000.  I about choked on those numbers and we left a little defeated but it seemed like our best decision would be to fix the car.
    After leaving there, we had to run over to my son's school.  He had a day off from school, but it was a meet the teacher's kind of thing and most of them were in the cafeteria so it was pretty easy to talk to all the people molding our young knucklehead.  I love hearing that pretty much all the teachers love having him in class.  One of them even said "I wish I had ten of him versus some of the other students I have to deal with."  That is always my favorite line, I used to get it myself.  We finally met his new algebra II teacher and you can see in his eyes he is excited to be teaching and Javalina likes him.
    My favorite part was running into one of the coaches and when I asked him for an assessment of our young warrior, he quickly said "wait, go over to our corner, you'll get all the coaches opinions."  There were 3-4 coaches sitting in one corner and it was fun hearing them poking fun at Javalina.  They all love his attitude, and have taken notice that he is working very hard in the weight room.  I asked about possibly moving him to linebacker since we all see he is a little short to be a lineman at the next level, but they said he has a lot of grit and he gets low and has good stamina.  They like him as a guard going forward unless he can really get fast on his lateral movement if he wants to move to linebacker.  They all teased him a bit, but I can tell he fits right in and the coaches enjoy having him around.
    By the time we got done, it was time to go eat a lunch and we headed to Culver's.  I must have been around 4:00pm and I decided I would take the day off.  It felt so liberating, Wife was around, we ate without rushing, like we always do.  We even sat and had a sundae after our burgers, it was nice.  I am not sure what else we did, but having her home was the main reason for staying, it was just one of those take it easy kind of afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment