Tuesday, July 9, 2019

7/9/19 Lil Dicky Is Back?

    I am currently obsessed with Lil Dicky's new "freestyle" he performed on Sway In The Morning on channel 45 on XM Radio.  From what I heard on several YouTube reviews, it is the most popular channel on satellite radio and covers rap and hip hop music, artists and stuff.  I found the song on YouTube where Wife would say I spend too much time as it is, but I get more out of the short format viewings than committing to whole movies or even half hour shows with scripted dialogue.
    Anyway, the first hurdle people are having on the new video is whether he is freestyling or if it is something put together before coming into the studio.  I have gone through at least 20 different reaction videos and everyone kind of brings this up as a point.  I don't really care, the word play is so good, every time you listen to it, you catch a new line, or as the cool people say a new bar.  Lil Dicky is just a master of the double entendre, not even dirty all the time, such as in one line he says "when I go shopping, I browse long line AD (many of his rhymes involve sports and there is a basketball player with a unibrow, Anthony Daniels, making the line funny)."  Another awesome double entendre is when he declares "only perkies I fuck with is breasts (saying he doesn't take drugs, like Percussets)."  He just bombards you with "bars" that you will miss some the first time.  Some are so clever and in your face, all you can say is "wow", like "I'm switching it up like I'm Trans (transsexual, transvestite)," or "they waiting for my buzz like they at the Outback (buzz is his next music/project and also the buzzer you wait on when you go eat at Outback Restaurants)"
    He is just too clever and fast that I just assume he puts these together beforehand.  Maybe he is a genius and can do it on the fly, which is even more powerful.  I really hate that he is not taken seriously by most people because he comes across as a comedian rapper, much like Weird Al Yankovich, which I am also a big fan of.  Why does music have to be all serious?  There was a time when we had CDs, that I carried 5-6 comedy CDs and we would always play them on long trips.  I miss those times.  Nowadays, we just put on a station and listen to what the man wants us listening to.  You can always change the channel, but every channel plays their best 30-40 songs over and over with an occasional different one, now and then.  Lil Dicky is that rare different one that needs to be played a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment