Saturday, July 13, 2019

7/13/19 Did You Pee In The Public Pool Too?

    Yesterday was an almost perfect summertime afternoon, finally.  Too often, we are caught up in our lives and work and frankly, BS.  I called my mom earlier in the week to see how things were going and out of nowhere she mentioned that my brother was going to have a pool party on Friday for his little boy from around 6:00-9:00pm.  The minute she said it I cringed and kind of like a caged animal I thought how do I get out of this one, but on the other hand, I love swimming and chilling in the water.  She then started up with the usual "people here aren't really expecting you to come..." to which I countered "no, I like the idea of a pool party, we'll try to be there."
    I love my family, but I honestly hate coming down, small town family life feels constricting to me.  Even if we don't go anywhere exciting at night in Austin, small town life tells you "stay home, everything is closed."  This is a little different because the pool party gives the night direction and we have slowly learned we don't have to stay the whole weekend.  We have a big trip to Houston all week, not to do anything, but we will be down there most of the week, so we need to go home Saturday and at least cut the grass before we leave Monday.  The HOA finally grew a pair of balls and started fining us for not being obedient little hamsters.  We had to pay a $25 fee for not keeping up with our yard.  My neighbor said he got a fine for having his RV out all week in his driveway before one of their trips (he does this every time they go camping).
    I digress, we arrived at 6:20pm or so and mom had called to check on where we were on the road, to which I said La Pryor.  Mom said they were all already at the pool, to go directly over there.  We said ok and did.  When we arrived, we did not recognize anyone's car, we almost thought we might be at the wrong place, other than my younger brother's SUV.  We got off anyway because this is the only pool in town.  Once we approached, we could see my sister was sitting there and my dad was in the water amongst a lot of people we later realized were my sister in law's family.  My brother then popped out of the water to greet us by the time I came out of the changing area where I put on my swim shorts and I went in the water right behind Javalina.
    You couldn't paint a prettier afternoon.  It was hot but not oppressively, maybe 95 when we got there and cooling.  There were some pretty clouds in the sky, the pool is located in the city's biggest park basically out of town, so to one side where the sun was setting there is nothing but trees, which are still green from the recent rains, and the water was a perfect degree or two below body temperature that it was cool but not chilling or soupy feeling.  I only got out to eat some pizza and then to sing Happy Birthday and eat some cake.  Even when it was about 30 min to closing, I jumped back in, at which point it was basically just me and the birthday boy in the water.
    I got out with probably 5 min before 9:00pm (closing time) and slowly walked out with my mom and aunt.  Afterwards, Wife, Javalina and I drove to Carrizo Springs, 10 miles away, to go get tacos and stuff, for a late night dinner.  I know it wasn't the healthiest but it put a nice cap to an otherwise perfect afternoon.  It could have been perfect if not for realizing everyone is basically peeing in the pool because I never really saw anyone going to the bathrooms.  I have to admit that even I, before getting out for a cupcake peed before getting out.  My brother started making the joke about everyone peeing in there and making it warm, to which I agreed "yup, you have to."  Besides, I tried using the bathroom but of course, it was plugged up with too much toilet paper and flies and grossness.  I was not going back in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment