Thursday, July 18, 2019

7/18/19 Galleria Mall Is King Of The Malls?

    We got off to a slow start Wednesday.  Wife's late night dinner/snack did not agree with her and she paid for it around 4:00am, waking up to vomit and stuff for the next couple hours.  I stayed up late, so when she was throwing up I had only been asleep about an hour, I asked her f she needed anything a couple times, she said no, so I stayed in bed.
    I didn't really wake up until 2:00pm or so and we then decided to go to the Galleria Mall after the disappointing trip to the first mall.  Malls may be slowly dying, but the Galleria looks even more lively than last time we were here about 6-7 years ago.  That last time we stayed at whatever hotel is attached to the mall, so it was real easy to walk to it.  This time, we drove about 7 miles to get to it.  I was surprised at driving through a lot of wooded area specially since we are supposed to be downtown.  A lot of it is still undeveloped.
    We parked in a parking garage and it felt like we might be in the wrong building because initially it just looked like offices, but after a couple of rights and long hallways, we finally saw the ice rink.  I remember the bottom floor being sparse with shopping stores years ago.  It was packed with fast food places and shoe stores and girls stores like Claire's.  We ate because Javalina is pretty much always hungry and like most members of my family, he gets ugly when he is not fed.  After eating, I was ready to venture out and find something new and fun.
    The second floor is pretty much what I dreamed a high end mall should be.  One fancy watch shop after another.  The first one we walked in, Omega, is celebrating with NASA, they were the first certified watch to go to space.  They had the Speedmaster, which is a modern version of the watch to go to space and they also had a very nice watch with the dial made of a space meteorite.  I really liked that watch.  I was really looking forward to the Rolex store, but it was kind of lacking.  They have had a shortage of watches coming from their factories and it was evident.  About half the store seemed empty.  We also saw Breitling, Hublot, Montblanc, Ben Bridge, and some of the other fancy stores are trying to sell watches, but I didn't really believe them, such as Louis Vuitton, which is crazy expensive, for purses.  I guess the watches were crazy expensive too, most that I liked were at least $6000 and as much as $43,000.
    I know I can't afford them right this minute, but perhaps in a couple years, I can get serious about another nice watch.  Montblanc, the pen makers, had a couple lines of watches and one that I liked was $2200 which is not too bad, but I don't want to buy it because of the name.  I want to buy quality or a sense of craftsmanship not found on other products.  I may come to my senses and realize that all these watches are selling on their names, but some of them are really beautiful.  I enjoyed the day just looking at watches I normally only see in pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment