Monday, July 15, 2019

7/15/19 Always Something?

    Why can't life be simple?  I had told Javalina and Boy that all I wanted to do Sunday was cut the grass, since we are leaving on Monday to spend most of the week in Houston.  First off, I had to deal with Boy's Edge.  While we were coming back from Crystal City, Boy called us and said his car had suddenly died, like completely.  There appeared to be no power at all, even the auxiliary lights were not on.  When the tow truck guy showed up, he tried jump starting him and it turned on but wouldn't turn back on.  We all determined either a bad battery or alternator.  Sunday morning started with me looking under the hood and the first thing I noticed was the negative terminal was rusted a lot and it was loose.  Luckily, we have a voltmeter and checking the battery, it read 12.6, which is enough voltage to turn on the car and certainly not a dead battery.  I cleaned the terminals with a wire brush and some coke which is supposed to attack the oxidation and then I put it back together.  The first time it did not do anything, it still did not fire up or show any life at the lights.  I put the voltmeter on the wires and they were reading 12.6, so the connections were good.  When we tried it a second time, noticing the lights were on, it fired up easily.  We did it a couple times and it seems to be ok.  I worry there may be an intermittent short due to the other end of the negative cable also needing a cleaning, but I can't get to it as it disappears to the lower part of the engine bay.  Boy drove around and it seems to be ok.  If he has problems, I told him to just wiggle the wires until he sees the lights on and drive it to Ford so they can clean the other end of those terminals.
    The other problem was hearing Javalina "dad, I need a new phone."  "Dad, do you think I can get a new phone?" "Dad can we leave now, so I can get a new phone?"  He can be laser focused when he wants something.  We went to Best Buy, the deal seemed expensive and there wasn't much selection in phones, then we went to Sprint, which the lady was a tad rude and we had to wait in line like 40-50 minutes total.  Again, it seemed expensive, specially with Boy telling me how Verizon will bend over backwards for you because that is what he has.  He is paying almost $90 for his plan, we are paying $138.19 for all three of us.  Verizon told us Boy's new payment would be $210 if we added Javalina to his plan.  I said that is too much.  We walked back to Best Buy in Southpark Meadows and then they didn't have any of the phones in stock.  He said the store in Bee Caves did, so we headed that way and got there around 7:00pm.  They ended up having the Samsung S10e, which is what he wanted and if we bought it, it would be only $550, instead of the $900 normal.  We put the phone on our Best Buy account which I should be able to pay off in two payments by the end of the year and our Sprint bill should remain the same.  I need to double check this with Sprint today, but that made me happy.
    We then got home around 8:00pm and I thought we could still cut most of the yard.  He just wanted to play with his new phone and Boy was busy doing meal preps with Sweetie (as he likes to call her).  I told him Wife cooks by herself all the time, Sweetie can do the same, she is a strong fierce feminist.  Now, get your ass outside and cut the yard either front or back and Javalina you do the opposite yard and I always trim.  We then all meet in the back yard which is much bigger.  It took us finishing in the dark, but we cut 98% of the yard pretty good, I think.  A couple of bad spots in the back yard aren't going to hurt anyone.
    We eventually ate dinner at like 11:00pm at Taco Cabana and those brisket tacos were so good.  I am not sure if they have upped their game or we were just really hungry.  We got back home at midnight and then packed while we re-watched Revenge of the Nerds.  We were up until 1:00am and I got up at 6:00am to write this, which I caught Javalina still up, saying he would sleep on the road.  It'll be interesting today, as once we leave, we won't be checking in to our room until 3:00pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment