Tuesday, November 21, 2017

11/21/17 Murder On The Orient Express? (Movie)

    Murder On The Orient Express is a remake of a movie I'm not sure needed it.  The previews were far funnier and light hearted, I guess if I had read it, I would have known the movie all around is more of a downer.  The whole thing to this movie is to figure out "who did it?!", so I will refrain from giving that away.
    I kept getting lost in the romance and curiosity of traveling by train.  I think it would be romantic if there was a trail through some very scenic area like the mountains headed to Colorado, but then the way these people were tended to, it seems it could be very expensive.  They had a guard overlooking them when they slept, breakfast was brought to them in their rooms, or there was a whole boxcar dedicated to eating with tables and a bar.  I don't know what else you can do on a train, but it looked relaxing, other than the only beds I saw were bunk beds.
    The story starts at the wailing wall in Jerusalem where someone has stolen a priceless article.  The famed detective Hercule Poirot figures out the problem and then talks to a friend about taking a much needed vacation.  He is carried away at the last minute to head to some place which requires him getting on the train unexpectedly.
    I expected more humor, Josh Gadot is on the cast, so is Johnny Depp, playing the bad guy, and some of the others have done comedy before.  There were comical incidents, but overall, the movie seemed more serious than it had to be.
    To top it off, my brother says there were overtones of some kidnapping of the Lindbergh Baby, which is not going to infuse the movie with laughter.
    Another thing that made me say wow was the fact that there was no heavy equipment, when they get hit by a falling avalanche and partially derailed, they only send men and some very raw tools.  I don't see how that would work today.
    I think, in the end it was all about Hercule needing to accept sometimes horrible things happened and to survive them, we had to accept some things as they were.  Right and wrong are not always black and white as he said in the beginning.  When you deal with humans, life gets very complicated very quickly, but yet, we find a way to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment