Monday, November 20, 2017

11/20/17 How Many Freaking Kids Do You Need?

    First off, I love my two boys, they have pretty much guided what I do day in and day out the last twenty three years.  That being said, why do people demand to have more than they can carry when kids are going to guide your every move for about twenty years?  My sister and I were having not really a conversation, but she brought up the idea of another kid and it makes me throw up a little bit.  Kids are huge anchors on life, they get in the way if you want to do anything real fun, and from what I can tell about my sister, she wants to start living and spreading her wings now that her professional life is going.
    I applaud her for being so determined and now she has become a principal at a fairly young age, and I hear from my mom that they have taken a couple trips with friends to Vegas and San Antonio and stuff like that.  It seems like she has finally taken the training wheels of life off her bike and starting to enjoy life.  So why would you want to demand another kid in your life?  It is easy to do when Mom lives next door and you can just swing by and dump your obligations on her so you can go and rest, but how far are you willing to stretch your mother's abilities?  She might not be the type that says no to you, but your assumptions that she will be there for you also prevent her from stretching her wings fully.  Most every time my folks have come to visit on a weekend, they leave Sunday because they need to be home to take the kids to school.  My mom doesn't have kids in school anymore.
    My mom recently retired but I know that even though they have an RV, they won't stray too far from home, even though they could.  And to make it even more ridiculous, my sister won't let my folks take the grandkids anywhere, such as with the RV on a vacation, that would be too much.  So, my folks are trapped at home, to play complimentary babysitter and you get to think about having more kids now that your own kids are just getting past the point that kids suck, and they are just more of a nuisance.  I would like for them to think that if they come visit, they could just as easily stay until the following weekend, to go to some museums, or just to hang out, do some shopping at the Outlet malls or the various specialty stores.
    Sure, you can have as many kids as you want, but your quality of life goes down for every kid that you add.  There are less resources you can provide, the more kids that you have.  Even if you can afford the kids monetarily, you only have so many hours in a week to divide by x number of kids.  The more kids, the less attention to each kid.  In their college years, you'll be responsible for that much more schooling, unless they are to be on their own, but don't call yourself a good parent if you're not going to help them get all the way prepared to succeed.
    Are you going to put off that PHD program to have another whiny kid?  Or are you going to just expect mom to watch all three kids while you run to SA for your classes?  You have mentioned you are the one that is supposed to write a book, when will that start if you are constantly pooping kids?  There is the good chance your hubby is ALL MAN, he may not have an X chromosome in his body to give you a girl, which is what you really want, ehh, they are overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment