Sunday, November 12, 2017

11/12/17 Removing A Screw?

    For the last couple months Wife said she had been losing air in one of her tires.  I was unsure if it was just the change in weather or if the sensor was going bad.  A couple weeks ago she had one of the bus technicians from her school fill her tires with air, and they overfilled all of them.  The only good thing from this is I was able to tell which was the bad tire because all other three were still reading 45psi.  According to the car, those little tires should only be filled to 33psi, so as it was, they were way overfilled.  This was last week, I reduced them down to 40psi so that it would be a gradual lowering back to normal, around 33psi.  She left Sunday afternoon to Crystal City, and then went to McAllen for a conference all week in a school vehicle.
    When she got back Friday night, after 6:00pm, the school was of course abandoned and there was that shitty distress signal of low tire, again.  I told her to look for a gas station but I know stuff is few and far between La Pryor and San Antonio.  Nevertheless, she was a woman on a mission, she bought me pan dulce and dammit, she was going to deliver it.  She told a couple of her coworkers that if she didn't text them in an hour to come look for her on some isolated highway she rides on to get to the freeway.
    We had radio silence for awhile, but she made it to the land of the living and eventually she got to Austin, right before 10:00pm, if I remember well.  I decided that if I got up early, I would take the car in and quit with this crap of wondering when the car would fail her.  Discount Tire is the only place I have been going to take care of any tire issues, so I waited until they opened at 8:00am.  I woke up at like 6:30am and said alright, do it for the Wifey.  I went downstairs, made some coffee and ate some more pan dulce which she had gotten for me.
    I left the house at 7:50am and was there by 8:00am.  I was surprised to see a small crowd there already, but then I was more surprised with the guys and their work ethic.  I mean they were literally running from one car to the next, how much more than that telling you those boys care?  We got lucky in that the problem was a nail and a small screw.  One of them had not punctured all the way through but the other had done enough to get our attention.  Because we do all our tire work here, I think, they do the repairs for free.  Maybe they do it for everybody, I don't know.  Of course, we had to discuss the idea of new tires.  The ones on the car have about 40,000 miles, which is getting close to needing new ones, but I want to wait until the Spring if we can make it until then.
    This was one of those things that is a real pain in the ass to deal with, but then the solution ends up being pretty easy and even free.  It makes it harder that Wife is only here Saturdays to take care of stuff like this.  She has had a cracked windshield, but she hesitates to fix it because it could easily happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment