Tuesday, April 4, 2017

4/4/17 Which Is Better, Trying New Things Or Being Classic?

    We met up with my family two weekends ago and if there is something I enjoy is poking at my brother, the attorney.  He has some wits about him and can be funny when you get him going.  One of the things we always get into is that I won't drink alcohol normally with my meals.  We can sit at any fancy restaurant and if he is in the mood, he will walk out drinking five or six beers in the time it takes to eat one meal.  He'll push me to relax and try something, so in the name of not being a party pooper I'll order something, but I always want to taste or drink something exotic that a man might drink.
    He always goes for whatever high end beer and sticks to it.  When we have gone to the Brazilian Steakhouse I will try a Caipirinha, which is the Brazilian national drink made with too many limes and cachaça liquor.  I have also been known to try their after dinner coffees with alcohol, which are yummy with their desserts.
    So this last time we were at Maggiano's, a nice Italian eatery with a full menu of drinks and food.  I wanted to try something new so I thought what's manlier than a drink in a copper cup, the Moscow mule?  My brother was double fisting his beers as he tells me the usual that he hasn't drank beer in a long time, while his wife is trying to clarify that just last week.... not that he hears anything when he is on a roll.  He looks at my copper mug and he goes into his gay Austin man routine.  Since he was being loud and we were getting served, I asked the waitress about the drink, she said it wasn't gay, that it comes in the copper mug as that affects the taste of the alcohol, and it would fall into the manlier drinks on any list.
    What can I say to that?  I just let him go on and on knowing I am enjoying tasting the drink.  I really don't want to feel drunk, I am not home and have to drive back home to Austin.  Although, to be fair, Wife has been doing a lot more of the driving lately.  I am glad I don't have that need in my system, to be drunk that way.  I can have a drink or two and be fine.
    I still remember the last time I was back home in Crystal City on a warm enough night to get in my mom's kiddie pools, those inflatable ones people have, all the way up to about 3-4 feet in depth.  My brother was going on and on about me needing to drink Miller Lite because it was "the champagne of beers".  You might laugh at the expression, but it is actually on the bottle.  My brother says he started with the high end beers but slowly discovered there was no point to that.  He used to chuckle at my dad who drinks Miller Lite, when he drinks anymore.  Poor little diabetic, a couple of beers mess up his insulin readings, so he says he hardly drinks too.  My brother now proclaims my dad a genius when it comes to beer drinking.  He discovered that the cheap beers do the same job as the fancy beers, for half the price. 
    So which is better?  I guess that we do what we do to avoid persecution and ugly stares.  I drink if I
am curious.  I don't think I need to prove I am a bad ass so you won't catch me out of character too often.  Meanwhile my bro does have a run in with the law, a minor DWI as he was getting his law degree in San Antonio but over time that doesn't seem to even faze him.

No comments:

Post a Comment