Friday, April 21, 2017

4/21/17 Freedom, At Last?

    I did not drive for a whole week, I was not supposed to put stress on my right leg while it healed.  The doctor gave me permission to resume activities but to take it easy, so I did not want to, but there was nobody around and Chubs needed to be picked up from school.  I thought I was ready and was waiting on the clock when I remembered I still had the boot on my foot.  I was supposed to wear it when walking, but I was so scared of hurting the wound that I kept it on all week, figuring it added a few layers of protection, with all the foam and hard plastic casing.
    The nurses and doctors said I didn't need it anymore but it does add some protection and as I see it, less movement for the ankle.  All this is good, and I so fear having the new skin fall off and fail that I am willing to keep the boot on another week.  But driving with the boot would be tricky, the ankle doesn't roll and I would hate to get in a car accident, specially around a school zone with all them kids walking around.  So I didn't want to but I took the boot off and found my right footed Croc and I was out the door.
    My truck sputtered and pissed after not being used for a week, it is a high step to get in when you are trying not to stress the ankles too much.  Driving was fine, but then when I picked up Chubs, he complained about his backpack tearing on him.  I had already noticed the ends fraying, so it did not surprise me when he said the shoulder straps snapped while he was running to class.  He did giggle and the more we talked about it, the more convinced I get that someone either hung from the strap, or someone pulled it violently.  He would not admit either one, but he was laughing a little guilty, to me.
    Who knew backpacks were so expensive.  We went to Academy and I was thinking Mijo deserves a nice backpack, maybe one of the upper end ones in the $50-60 range.  Shit, the first one he grabbed was $89.99.  I was taken aback, but looking through all the Under Armour branded ones, the cheapest was $80.  The Nike backpacks were very similar in price and then the other no name brands looked like they would maybe last a week.  I don't want a shell of a backpack with straps, I want something that looks and feels like quality so I swallowed hard and hoped for the best with our credit card.  I've also been promising him some new tennis shoes and although he has been wanting some, today he was more interested in going home.  I forced him to try on about four pairs before he chose one.  Since they were relatively cheap at $40, I thought it was a good combo.
    It was so nice to drive and go to the store like an adult.  Being locked up at home can be a little depressing.  For a whole week, I was at the mercy of Wife or Boy, I am glad they were here for me, but I am not used to being a secondary character in my own story.  It is roughly 10:30pm and I am still unsure about being without the boot.  I haven't put it back on.  It seems to help keep the wrappings around my leg in place, but now that I don't have it on, it is very restricting.  I will wear it in bed, since I move and kick so much while I am asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment