Monday, April 3, 2017

4/3/17 Who Can Eject Quicker, Poor and Young, or Settled And Older?

    Recently, I have been thinking of the idea of selling our house and meeting Wife down on the coast.  The plan would be fairly easy.  Have to send Wife ahead, in a year or so.  Once she has enough years experience, she can apply in Corpus Christi or around there and then we can buy a moderate house.  Real estate is nowhere as crazy as what it is like in Austin.  I think we could even consider a house on a canal so we could have a boat in the water in our backyard.  This might work as long as we are ready to sell our house in Austin and we can walk away with a healthy profit, mostly dependent on the market.  I don't know that I would dare buy another house as big as the one we have.  I am sure our next house will have the master bedroom downstairs, I hate running up and down to get stuff from my room.  The reality of this is that Boy has another year or so before graduating, while Chubs starts high school in two more years.  He is solid with his friends and I am sure would rebel if we were to threaten him with leaving the city.
    The main reason I am even thinking of moving is that Girlie has put the thought in my head as she is talking about moving constantly.  Her mother moved their family out of state for a couple years while she was going to Texas State.  She chose to stay while trying to stay in school, but her mom's actions probably didn't help her.  She is not even sure where she would head to, which makes the discussion even more "scratch my head" worthy.
    So, which is easier?  We could do it, but I would only head to the coast, as that is where I always think I will end up, specially since I was born in Corpus Christi.  Wife and I are already kind of used to living apart, so she could get established while I look for a job, probably with all the oil refineries we see along the coast line.  We would have a chunk of money upon selling our house to use as a fat down payment on something more comfortable and moderate.  Girlie, on the other hand, does not have much, other than a bedroom set and clothes.  She could take everything she owns in a small U-Haul trailer and start over anywhere.  Getting a small apartment is just a matter of having first and last month's rent in many places, so it sounds easy, if you have nothing tying you down.
    I was telling my idea to Wife and she liked the idea.  The boys are the ones that are going to push back.  I am sure Boy does not want to think about having to move out and get himself an apartment permanently while Chubs does not want to fathom the idea of making new friends all over again like he did at the start of the school year when we started him in Crystal City since he had gone with Wife.  He has been so relaxed since he came back, and rarely complained about anything to do with school as he loves where he is at.  On the other hand, Girlie says if she goes somewhere it will be after the summer, so she can save some money.  I don't believe her, I don't think she realizes how easy we have made life.  Not every apartment she will be able to afford will offer free internet, free washer/dryer, a fridge that always has something to eat, but we'll see.
    My perfect scenario is staying where I am at but buying a small house on stilts along the coast, maybe even a two bedroom, two bath would work for me.  I like the way those houses can give you that shady area underneath for grilling, maybe having a hot tub under there and then a house higher up to avoid pesky hurricanes and other bad weather scenarios.  And I knw we signed up for it, but it would be nice if Wife made her way back, even San Antonio would be better, to have her home through Sunday night, the weekends don't last long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment