Monday, April 17, 2017

4/18/17 Can I Have A Dream?

    At this point in life, I have one big-ish dream.  I really want to own a piece of waterfront property.  I am not sure whether I would prefer this plot of land on a lake, river, or down on the coast.  Wife is not the fantasizing kind and in her mind, we will always be struggling just to get by.  I don't feel this way, first off, we won't be supporting Boy all his life, we could even be done with him in a year or so.  We also won't be paying for credit cards all our life, this is something we are working on, but it is also the hardest thing since I am a "want it now" type of person for most everything.
    So, which is better?  When I do get Wife to talk about it, she says she would like to retire to the coast.  I was born in Corpus Christi, so I see something poetic about going back to where I came from.  The biggest problem is living in a salty environment which will attack both our house and our vehicles.  I'm not excited about owning a bunch of rusty cars, but then I feel like maybe that is home.  We have spent most of our summers going down there.
    Because we live in Austin, I think it would fit our lifestyle to own a piece of waterfront on one of the central Texas lakes.  Some are quite big, but as nice as these lakes are, the price tags of even just the land can easily surpass the $150-200,000 range.  If it was up to me, I would choose this route, but this is certainly the priciest, and to do this one might require us to even sell our main home some day.  Some of the problems though are questionable.  Lakes like Canyon Lake in New Braunfels do not even allow boat docks, and that is a big part to me to owning a piece of waterfront.
    A third newer idea comes at me more recently.  There are cities like Seguin that have multiple rivers and then there are waterfront on skinny rivers which might not be exactly what I want, but if we can swim and maybe use some kayaks or canoes, these could also work.  This is probably the cheapest route but would also mean we would be living in some city I had not considered, like Seguin or somewhere between Austin and the coast, along the Colorado.  Wife does have a cousin who has managed to get situated on the river that feeds Garner State Park, towards that region.  I am not sure I would want to own land that way, but if it means my own slice of heaven, I might be interested.
    But I guess a dream is supposed to be that, otherwise we aren't dreaming big enough.  If we could have afforded it by now, would we even appreciate it, like so many other things we just take for granted?  I am hoping to be looking into this in the next five years, probably after Wife gets another promotion that sends her back towards us, and Boy gets ready to graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment