Saturday, April 29, 2017

4/29/17 Entertaining Myself While I Am Grounded?

    It turns out I not only like to eat, I am starting to appreciate clanging the pots and pans in the kitchen, just like a lady (I kid, I kid).  As I had said, I had never had a reason to cook, there was always a better cook than me around.  I have now been home over two weeks and I am getting the hang of doing more and more.  Monday night, I made penne pasta with chicken and sausage in an Alfredo sauce.  I am pretty proud to say it was delicious, even the leftovers went fast the next day.  In the past, I mistimed the bread, but I think I got the hang of it now, as it all came together and by about 7:30pm.
    Tuesday I bought a pork butt for the slow cooker and it turned out ok, my big problem with it is the meat is too wet as it comes out of the slow cooker and the tortillas get all wet and ugly.  Wednesday night, I thought about it and took some of the meat and instead of just microwaving it, I thought I would heat it up in a skillet to remove the moisture, but at first it was all hard and in blocks.  I did see all the fat on top of the liquid and I skimmed most of that off into the trash, so that has to be good.  I noticed two little containers of habanero sauce that somebody got with their tacos and I got the idea to put it in there.  Between the meat not being wet and the hot sauce, it was like totally a new meat.  Chubs was sitting being tough that it wasn't spicy, all the while sweating from his forehead, his giveaway when he eats hot stuff.  There is still plenty of the slow cooker meat and I am thinking of heating more of it but maybe using BBQ sauce to give it another flavor.  You can't beat this meat at $1.00 a pound.  The smallest pack I could find was 8 pounds, and still was only $8.  We have now eaten two meals and I will probably get a third out of it.
    I always hint at Wife to make cinnamon rolls or cakes or stuff like that, you know, cause you love me.  This is her one weakness, yes we are both big people, but she doesn't like or care for sweets, so she doesn't really dig making stuff like that.  I found two tubes of rolls last night and I thought I would give it a try.  This morning I got up at 6:15am (my sleeping is all over the place) and I decided to make the cinnamon rolls and I had bought a melon on Monday, so I cut that up while my rolls baked.  I kind of wish the boys would appreciate my efforts, Chubs is sticking with his hot pockets and Boy isn't much of a breakfast eater.
    Oh well, I have the fruit cut up to eat during the day, and I already ate about half the cinnamon rolls, so at least nothing is going to waste.  I do have a box of lemon cake in the pantry but I should probably save that for tomorrow, at least.  I am doing the best with what I got.  I am so tired of being home, I was looking forward to going back to work, but if the only way to salvage the skin graft is to play prison boy at home, I have to think big picture and assure myself this will all be worth it and the skin graft will all become a forgotten memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment