Monday, April 24, 2017

4/24/17 Try Not. Do, Or Do Not. There Is No Try?

    Today was a rather casual lazy Sunday.  We didn't even leave the house, except for an ice cream in the late afternoon.  It was Wife's last day in Austin before she heads to San Antonio tomorrow for a meeting, then back to normal life.  She did a wonderful job of taking care of me through the delicate parts after my surgery.  The skin graft looks horrible, honestly, but the doctor said it's doing what it needs to do, growing new skin and becoming one with me.  Because it was such a nice day, she decided to wash her car, which gave me an excuse to go and work on cleaning the garage a bit.  Boy and his friend staying with us cut the grass, and took some metal studs out of the yard that used to support a tree.  I am loving this new kid and his strong back, then I as Boy what's up and he just mutters "He's making me sweat out there, goddammit!!"  Chubs helped a little here and a little there.  Once I swept the floors in the garage, he picked everything up and put it in the trash can. 
    The only ones that didn't get their hands dirty were Girlie and her friend.  They came out because it was a sunny , beautiful day, jumped on the trampoline for 10 minutes and then watched movies in the living room the rest of the afternoon.  As I passed back and forth from the garage to the kitchen the National Lampoon's Vacation Music caught my ear, I asked if it was a Vacation movie they said yes, then I said I am a Chevy Chase fan, they both asked "who is that?"  I said "come on!!"  They were not aware of the four other Vacation movies, and Chase does come out as he is the father of Rusty who leads this movie, played by Ed Helms.
    We were buying movies when the idea of DVDs was bigger all the time, maybe we have 300-400 hundred movies.  I'm not going to say it is the best collection, but there are a lot of movies one should be familiar and these gals constantly tell me they have no idea.  One of them hasn't seen the Princess Bride, and that is kind of a girlie movie.  Neither has seen any of the Star Wars movies which pisses me off a little bit as Star Wars defined a generation.  I remember telling Boy it was important to know pop culture and be aware of the John Hughes canon which Boy went and got familiar with and appreciates how Hughes explained teenage life. 
    I have decided I need to educate at least Girlie, while she lives with us by putting different DVDs in her hands, if to just understand social commentary sometimes, you have to know the language of certain movies.  We are doing the same with Chubs, and since he is starting to become a mouthier little teenager, I told him to start listening to Metallica, which is must listen to music for all male teens.  Just this week, Boy came home all proud of himself that they had made an amplifier and then he pulled out his music and plugged in For Whom The Bell Tolls, which is perfect dude music.  He was all proud of the signal track it left on the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment