Saturday, March 25, 2017

3/26/17 Breaking Bread For Boy's Birthday?

    Saturday was a good day.  Wife planned in about a week and a half a lunch where most of the family could join.  Instead of making the lunch in Austin and expecting people to make the long drive and sleep there, we opted for a quick and lively lunch in San Antonio.  That made it easy for Wife's family to join, but guess who was late.  I guess because the lunch was in their territory, it was easy to go and work half a day, or go in and get some work done while the kids went to their football games or whatever.  My mom was a little late since they had my brother's test in Uvalde.  The test is to get him certified to teach, at least he has a path he can follow.
    We had not eaten at Maggiano's before and the restaurant was quite nice.  It is located in The Rim over by the Canterra where as far as I know is San Antonio's nicest part of town, next to Fiesta Texas.  Every course of our meal was a pleasant surprise.  The bread in the beginning was warm and flavorful with an outer crunchy touch.  While we were waiting for the stragglers to show up, we had plenty of bread and I ordered a Mulo Romano, which is pretty much a Moscow Mule.  It was served in a copper cup, which is supposed to affect the flavor.  The little copper cup was enough for my brother to proclaim me drinking a woman's drink.
    Once my folks showed up, the waitress moved us along and we switched from the warm bread to Bruschetta tray with garlic in oil, mozzarella chunks, and tomato caprese.  Along with the tray we also got a plate of calamari and a salad that was one of the best I have ever tried.  The mozzarella chunks were the best part of the appetizers.  After we were done with all this, the waitress announced they were going to clean the tables and Wife panicked and tried to hide her plate in her purse.  I figured we would be getting new plates and moving to the next fork.
    The next part of the meal was lasagna, veal parmesan, steak parmesan, chicken parmesan, spaghetti and meatballs.  This was enough to fill me up but then we also had dessert which included lemon cookies, apple pie a la mode, and cheesecake. 
    After the meal, we went and walked around Bass Pro Shops for about an hour just to walk off some of the food.  How I wish I could get a new boat.  Even though I wasn't using mine for the last couple years, I still held onto the thought that it was just a matter of cleaning it and heading to the lake.  I'll get another boat in a couple years, oh well.  My folks followed us to Bass ProShops, but my mom got bored and they headed off to the mall, we headed back to Austin, getting home by around 8:00pm. 
    The one thing I do not enjoy about eating early is that by the time it becomes evening, we are in a hungry mood all over again.  Wife and I ended the night by eating by the house at Rosa's Taco House.

No comments:

Post a Comment