Thursday, March 23, 2017

3/23/17 Glad I Do Not Have Daughters?

    Yesterday's blog about what I expect from someone dating my boys seemed a cakewalk.  Maybe I am sexist, but I put the burden of heavy lifting in the male.  I expect both my boys degreed before they start families so they can afford to live a life equal to what we have provided or better.  Just glancing over at Girlie who has been living with us for almost half a year, I get a little nervous every time she goes out on the weekends.  As my mom constantly reminds me, she is not my daughter, but she is living with us and knowing her since she was a baby, I still worry a bit as she seems to take chances Boy has never been interested in, like going downtown.  It doesn't help that she just broke up with her last boyfriend a couple weeks ago.
    Since she is always at the house, I give her plenty of my sermons when it comes to dating, turning the advice with a feminine slant as I see things.  For the most part, the man is going to make more money in a relationship, so I always tell her not to waste her time with "knuckleheads".  Like most girls her age, she seems attracted to the pretty boys, which I have no affinity towards.  To me, pretty boys are the same thing as pretty girls, nice to look at but really go nowhere. 
    Since 8th grade, she has always brought her boyfriends over so I can give her my opinion after.  For the most part, they all seemed nice, if a little dull.  There haven't been a lot, maybe five total, the 8th grade boy was more of a friend, the high school one was annoying and around for about three years.  He was good enough to play in the NBA at 5ft 9in.(in his head), and he could write music and spent all his time in the studio (again, his head), glad he disappeared.  There was one obnoxious artist in college (I could smell the other girlfriend on him), then a couple others, including one who will not man up and drive, but a nice guy.
    I hate to be hard assed, but if there is no schooling, what is supposed to be happening in your early 20's?  She talks about going back, but unless it becomes more than talk, I guess you jump from one crappy job to another trying to get to a decent salary.  I've also talked to some other of Boy's friends and they seem to be making their way up from $7-8 to a more comfortable $13-15, but that is still not enough to live on your own.  The biggest thing I get on her about is not to be stupid and get pregnant.  If she thinks life is expensive right now, just wait until there is a baby to watch over.  Just last week she came home saying that wouldn't be a problem for a couple years.  I guess that is one less thing to worry about.  It sounds kind of ugly, but worst case scenario if my boys were to get someone pregnant, they do have us, and we have a big house.  I don't know that it works the same for her, she would have to at least go try to leave with the baby daddy at least.  Good to know that problem has been kicked down the street at least four years or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment