Friday, March 10, 2017

3/10/17 Old Clunkers Need Love Too?

    Our roommate had gotten a new car with the help of her mom and all was well with the world, but for some reason that I am entirely not sure about, Mama decided to take the car away from Girlie and gave her back her old clunker.  The car was not that bad, but bad things keep happening to it.  When she first got it, she and a previous boyfriend decided to help out an old lady at the mall or somewhere with a jump from her battery.  Mr. Boyfriend did not lock down the hood correctly and that started one of her problems.  The hood opened on her as she almost got on the freeway, luckily there was a grass meridian and she ended up there.  The hood ended up bending and it smashed into the windshield and broke it.  She used one of her fashionable belts to hold the hood down, got the glass repaired and kept going for a while.  Of course, the next time it rained hard, it happened again.  This time she called me that she was stranded between work and her house.  I took some wire to hold it closed and actually looked inside.  There were two screws missing on the hook that catches the hood.  I found one in my tool box and the other cost .79 cents at Home Depot.  Shortly after, she started driving the new car, so I thought her problems were gone.
    Her problems are back.  She got home all flustered today that she couldn't drive the car anymore.  The wipers don't work anymore she exclaimed.  I asked if they were moving, she said yes, I then said "you know you're supposed to replace the wiper blades like once a year, plus it helps if the glass is clean."  I went out and looked at them, and I could see the glass was oily and you could see the streaking where the glass got wet but not enough.  I stopped at Walmart on the way home because she'll keep driving that way, and it just seems dangerous. New wiper blades are like $5.  I gave the glass a quick clean and hopefully she's ready for the weekend, as it is supposed to be storming.
    She already mentioned the door handles.  She says she feels very ghetto, the inside door openers have both stopped working on driver and passenger, so she has to roll the windows down and use the handle on the outside.  I looked on YouTube and it looks like a fairly easy repair, I just need to catch her at home when we have time.  You Tube is really great for tutorials and stuff like that.  There is a video that shows you how to remove the door panels, down to where the screws are all hiding.  I would never mess with my cars, I would rather take them to Ford and get it done right.  For her though, either I can play with it or it can stay broken, this car is not going in for repairs.
    This poor car has been through a lot.  The trunk is also askew because the stepdad was driving it and he got into a fender bender.  Oh well, that is something he can take care of, although I don't think that is in the plans at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment