Friday, March 24, 2017

3/24/17 Boy Is Turning Twenty Three Today?

    Our anchor baby is turning twenty three today.  Man, does time march along at a steady clip.  I still remember bringing him to Austin from Uvalde in my little red Ford Ranger in the middle spot wondering what are we doing?  I could barely drive with his baby seat blocking my shifting abilities.  I was in my last semester at UT and living in a shitty apartment.  Luckily, my roommate had graduated in December and because Wife was pregnant and our parents had married us, she became my newest roommate, by default.
    Suddenly, we went from living in a perfect bachelor pad to a tiny family apartment.  We lived there through 1994 when Boy was born until January 1996, when we bought our first house.  I remember being all proud of myself, I had scored a job with AMD, and just left the warehouse, driving the forklift, and also left LCRA, working as a lab technician, seemed fine, but only paid $8 an hour as a temp.  AMD seemed like a job from the future, and less than a mile from where we were living, I could bike to work, and I did a few times.  I then had to figure out a way to fast track myself to more money and that happened about a year later, as I became a sustaining engineer by going on night shift.  I had never worked nights before, but I was eager to do whatever for more money.  It seemed easy, do the same job, but at night and we will pay you an extra 17%.  I was married and had a kid what did I care about working every Friday and every other Saturday.  I did this schedule for about fifteen years.  It wasn't until I was the only one left in our group working nights that they eventually let me slip to this great schedule I have now where I work Mon-Thurs on the long week and Mon-Wed on the short week.
    I call Boy the anchor baby, but I mean it in a good way.  It was very scary and for a couple weeks we did even separate, but the life I have lived has been very easy and rewarding.  Maybe we have been tight at times financially, but we get to do what we want most of the time, we now live in a great big house which I love, and Wife and I work and mesh very well.  I cannot imagine life having gone any other way now.  I have two boys who worship me, Wife moves the world to make me happy, and I in turn try to do the same for her, as long as I don't have to vacuum.
    Maybe the blog didn't have much to do actually with Boy, but because of him, we do what we doIt may seem he made us stop progressing in school, but in reality he made us start using the shit we learned to feed, cloth, and shelter the baby.  Because we are who we are, we both do it well.  Happy Birthday Ditto, Love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment