Thursday, December 29, 2016

12/29/16 Hoboes Want Money, Not Charity?

    It was Christmas Eve this week and Girlie and her Folks posted pics they were on their way to feed the homeless.  I hate to be suspicious of everything but I turned to Wife and asked her "what is this shit?  Homeless people don't really want food, they want money"  I decided not to ask them questions because maybe they are better people than us.  Luckily, the aunt showed up, our old neighbor and we got the gossip on the attempt at feeding the homeless.  They did it on their own, possibly as a "feed the poor challenge", much like the ice bucket challenge or all those other silly challenges that pop up on the internet.  Anyways, they had baggies filled with sandwiches, water bottles and even a Christmas candy cane.  The only problem was they were missing a homeless population.  They drove around aimlessly, with a big heart but small patience.  The only person we heard about was a lady that looked homeless, but she had a beer or alcohol in a paper baggie and that was enough to not get a bag or even a candy cane.  It was unclear if any homeless were eventually found, but the aunt's daughter eventually came back home frustrated at the waste of time.
    I am not chuckling at our friend's effort, I know they meant well, but the homeless population is getting out of control here by our house.  There are tons of "men" out there every day, working the street corners for change.  Some of these guys look younger than me, "come on, get a freaking job already!"
    Last summer, one of Boys ex-girlfriends was worried about the homeless on a particularly hot day and she decided she was going to take water bottles to them.  She got yelled at and told to beat it by many of the homeless.  They asked for liquor or change, they were not interested in her water bottles.  Similar thing with my Father in law who stopped a couple times to help "vets", he gave them info for the VA and again, the guys were uninterested.  After he asked more questions, one of the guys said "leave me alone, I didn't serve, I get more tips if I say I was in the military."
    Wife said she and a coworker many years ago were downtown and when they came out of a restaurant, they came face to face with a bum saying he was hungry if they had money.  Wife's coworker offered him her leftovers, which he took but when they looked back they saw him open the Styrofoam box, look at the food and then he just threw it on the ground.  I've been approached a few times by this idiot who carries a gas can and asks for gas.  I see them parked by the Walmart gas pumps, and many times I gas up at night headed back to work.  This guy has no shame, it must work more times than not.  "Hey buddy, can you spare a gallon of diesel?"  This back when diesel was near $4.00 a gallon.  It was easy to tell him no.  I just thought if you can't afford the fuel, get rid of the vehicle.
    Something needs to be done about these parasites.  I wish everyone would cut the shit feeding them, why do you think they don't relocate?  Stupid people are feeding them enough loose change to keep them around.  I know the heart wants to help and do good, but ughhh, I think it is better to spend the little free time we have with loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment