Tuesday, December 13, 2016

12/13/16 Sixth Grade Rocks For My Little Javelina?

    Chubs is in sixth grade and he is loving every minute of it.  He has a good sized posse of friends, he is playing saxophone in a quite large band, his grades have put him on the AB Honor Roll the first two six weeks and he has even mentioned he liked a girl and talked to her about it.  One of the things that could have or would have changed his devil may care attitude was at the start of the school, when he went to school for about three weeks in Crystal City.  Those were rocky times, we discussed it all summer when Wife found out she was offered a job with a huge raise, which she couldn't really turn down if she wanted to be promoted to the Director level which is where she has belonged for some time.  We decided it would be better since he is still relatively young, he should be with mama, so he went, but he missed his friends and although I was excited for a couple days to be rid of my shackles and responsibilities, Chubs and I are tight and I missed my little hemorrhoid.  Boy and I were as tight at that age, but Mr. Man is now in college and isn't available for lunch with Dad every day.
    After three weeks, Chubs demanded to come back and he would put up with anything to try it out.  This meant he would be alone, for example, on Tuesday nights, when Boy was in lab until 9:00pm.  One good thing to come from his travels to Crystal City was he picked up a nickname, his coach for PE happens to be from Carrizo Springs which is a neighbor of Crystal City.  The coach found out he had transferred from Crystal City and has since called him the Javelina, which is the mascot of our hometown.  Last Friday, he came home saying he had signed up for football for next year.  He said the coach pulled him aside and asked him, they need guys like him.  I know he will end up on the line, at 220 pounds and already taller than Mama and gaining on Daddy, this one is going to be a big Hamma Jamma.
    He is actually walking a very fine line between being a cool guy and perhaps being a bit of a tough guy, I don't want to say bully, but he is different than Boy and myself.  I was very shy in school and did not like confrontation.  He has had a couple of small confrontations and he is not intimidated.  Some kid told him "watch it, I got boots, I'll kick your ass" after our son ratted him out for cheating.  He said very camly "I got boots too, maybe I'll kick your ass."  He does run with some tough kids who have told other kids "you don't fuck with Chubs or I'll kick your ass."  Some skinny Indian kid was trying to mess with him about his weight, I told him "I can't pick you out of all the kids after school, everybody is Chubby nowadays.  He got back at him when he forgot his favorite pencil or something, Chubs said he picked it up and debated whether to return it.  Finally he said YOLO and threw it in the trash, said that's what he gets for being rude.

No comments:

Post a Comment