Saturday, December 17, 2016

12/17/16 Thinking Closer About A New Role In The Company?

    I think I will be making the change, if slowly, to the other department here at work.  I was talking it over with a coworker who does imaging and she said well if you go over, you will be helping to meet their demands and by you going, that in itself might eliminate the need for overtime.  I said "yeah, but becoming proficient in another department will make me available to do work here and work there, so I will double my chances at any extra opportunities for OT.  She had to agree with my logic, then she added " it will be a new technique you can add to your resume skills that you know how to do if this place ever goes under.  I don't like to think that is going to happen, but it could, I guess.
    My buddy that has been my biggest cheerleader this week pumping me up with all this information that they are overworked suddenly started applying the brakes tonight, which didn't make much sense other than to temper my expectation that going over will not mean that I have a personal ATM to print my own money.  I understand that much, I also wouldn't expect to hog all the OT, if it comes to that, but from experience I also know that if there is work to do when nobody wants to do it, then I usually will volunteer and be here when most people would rather be home.  He was trying to change my way of thinking and to maybe be open to changing my shift, but that does not make sense when I am the only one working nights.  If the company wants night coverage, great, but if they are only going to commit one person to being on nights, it doesn't seem fair to then tell that person "well it's great that you are willing to keep our machines going through the night, but can you do it on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday when we don't even bother to make people work weekend hours during the day?"  I have been here twenty years, why would I be moved to cover the weekends and have a new person work the shift that I work now?  Again, that doesn't make sense, specially when nobody else has ever really been forced to work hours they didn't want to.
    I am really flexible, don't think I am old and set in my ways, I'll work Tuesday through Thursday nights, or even Sunday through Wednesday nights, but if Wife is only here on Friday evening and leaving Sunday afternoon, I need to make those hours available for her.  If I have to be away at work when she is here, I need to at least be getting paid time and a half, otherwise why move, I have a pretty cushy spot right now.
    I already felt a taste of OT and I just started working over there.  I was called in Thursday night to go in and run five hours of work.  It seems I joined at the right time.  Two of the people in the group went out of town, it is near the holidays, and the third guy was admitted to the hospital as his wife thought he might be having a heart attack.  He was going into his second night of observation since they didn't identify a heart attack had occurred.  The only person left to do work is the supervisor, and although he has no problem rolling his sleeves up, he is feeling a tad overworked, so he appreciates the added worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment