Monday, December 26, 2016

12/26/16 Can An Atheist Have A Merry Christmas?

    Yes, why not?  We were at the mall on Saturday afternoon doing the last of our Christmas shopping and I decided to go over to one of the stores I really like and say hi to a sales lady that helped me out and has continued to help me, lately, she gave me a and Chubs a tutorial over their pearls, and once she started explaining things, I saw that they weren't just white circles attached to a rope.  But anyways, as we were leaving, Wife and I said Merry Christmas and she said the same back.  Chubs, growing up in a world too wrapped up in political correctness, tried to correct me, "umm, Dad, isn't it better to say Happy Holidays instead of Have a Merry Christmas?"  I said why?  I'm the atheist here and I don't get offended when someone says that.  It is what you say, nothing offensive is meant by it.
    Christmas has always meant time away from school or work, hanging out with those closest to us, our family and sometimes friends.  Last year I tried it for a first time and I have done so again, being off for a whole week.  The reason being is that Wife is here and we can theoretically spend a lot of time together.  So far, I have been sleeping when I should be awake and I've been awake when I should be asleep, but twenty years on night shift will do that to a person.
    Right before I declared myself an atheist, I was dating another girl and I remember the dreaded midnight mass I got dragged to once or twice.  Nothing made me more miserable than being at a church service in the middle of the night, when at my folk's house, my family was opening presents, there was food galore, and we got to be as free as we ever were because it was Christmas break.  For a kid, there is no better time than no school, no bedtime, new video games, and cold weather so you just want to be in your room playing said video games.
    That is all my boys asked for Christmas, was new video games, which they both got, Boy had to work, but he has his buddies coming in tonight (Christmas day at night) to play his new games and Chubs has been in his room trying out his new games all day long.  If I can make them happy for a little while in between their studies which are slowly shaping them into the adults they will one day become, what more can I ask for?
    The answer is no, for you dim witted folks that still think atheism is equivalent to Satanism.  We are not practicing any dark arts around here, some of you are almost "little yellow bus slow."  Here at home, we have our white Christmas tree with decorations the boys have made over the years at school, we have our kitchen stocked with all sorts of food from cakes and pastries from Central Market, to fajitas and ribs which I grilled last night.  We sat and watched National Lampoons Christmas last night which I fell asleep to rubbing my stomach from eating and drinking too much egg nog.  After being lazy all day, getting up first to do the Santa toy reveal way too early, and then to eat brunch at 1:00-2:00pm, we got tickets from Boy to go watch a movie tonight at 11:00pm, so that should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment