Tuesday, December 27, 2016

12/28/16 Landlubber, Forever More?

    I finally lost one of the things I had been clenching with both arms which I determine made me special.  Wife slowly eroded me to the point of flailing my arms long enough for her to pry my love and joy in a calculated play to save storage fees.
    I have to admit we had been paying storage fees for years and at $75/month, I guess it did add up.  In the end, I gave up my seafaring vessel for $1000, a pittance.  The only thing that made it acceptable was that we will also be saving the $75 a month and to add a little kick to the nuts, the receptionist told Wife that next month the rates were going up to $92 and change.  I guess after a year we can say we got $over $2100 for the boat.
    The first step was finding someone to take our boat and hopefully restore it to its glory days.  Wife might have already had him in mind (her cousin) because it took her half a day to come back with "I have a buyer."  I was agreeing to such a low number with her a couple weeks ago because I thought it was just hype, I didn't believe we would get rid of it.  Once I put $1000 out in the ether, I could not put it back in the bottle, so that became the agreed to price.  I decided we needed to at least get the trailer tag so we could move it with no problems from the cops.  This seemed like such a hassle to me, I hate dealing with paperwork, but Wife seems to love it.  In one half of shift I was gone, I came back and she had the new tags and the paperwork to make the transfer of the boat legal, that is a handy woman!
    The second step was finding time when we could drive it to the new owner.  This week is as good as it is ever going to get since we are both off and we had no big plans.  I was making the tires a big deal that I might possibly need to buy new tires to avoid a blow out on the road.  Wife convinced me that her cousin has money and he can fix whatever, we just need to deliver it to him.  Today, things just lined up.  We went to my doctor for my leg, ate breakfast, went and did some exchanges at the mall, then we were at a point where I could either nap and hide the afternoon away or put on my big boy undies and take care of some business.  I took our pancake pump and was able to fill both tires fast.
    Full of adrenaline and a fuck it attitude I said "let's do it!"  We got on the road around 2:00pm and the boat was dropped off close to 5:00pm.  Wife's cousin seemed very excited saying he had already talked to a mechanic friend, asking me all sorts of questions as to what else he needed to do.  He said he would be bringing it to our area lakes as soon as he got it running and to not hesitate to borrow it.  I loved everything he had to say.  I added that if it didn't work out, I would buy it back from him, no problem.
    The rest of the evening was used to get us back home.  Wife of course was swayed to stop at her folks house in San Antonio by the allure of free tamales which her folks had been making all day.  We were finally home by 10:30pm, a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.  No more boat to boast about, but no more drain from our wallets either.

No comments:

Post a Comment