Saturday, June 4, 2016

6/4/16 Boy's Dreams Are Sucking Me In?

    Boy gave Wife a laundry list of things wrong with his Jeep a couple days ago.  I thought it odd, going from no problems to five or six issues almost overnight.  First of all, the wiper blade motor on the passenger side went out, and with all the rain we've been having, we can't ignore this one.  Then going with the rain motif, he decides now to tell us that the Jeep leaks a lot where the roof panels meet each other.  I am sure it is just the seal needing to be replaced, but still, it is another thing to fix.  He has been complaining that when he hits his brakes sometimes he slides around, implying to him that the brakes are going out.  I think it is just normal sliding by a light vehicle on sleek wet roads.  Then he thinks it would be a good time to get new tires installed.  We took it in to the dealership, as I don't want to be responsible for doing something and then the Jeep failing on the road.  While we have the Jeep in the shop, we walked the lot and Boy got excited at the idea of getting a new Jeep.  My first reaction would be to look at the used vehicles, but I think Boy had a plan all along.  He got me looking at the lifted newer nicer Jeeps and starts babbling that he could pay $300 in the summer and about $200 the rest of the year.
    I currently pay $379 a month for his Jeep, and the only reason I was entertaining his thoughts are because I wanted to buy him a new Jeep initially but they were out of reach financially.  When we found his, it was a 2008 in 2013 and it was not 4x4.  It is a 4-door model, and the top does come off, but I have yet to see him do this.  So we decided on a Jeep, got a sales guy, and asked what the price was.  I absolutely hate that none of the vehicles have a price on them.  The Jeep we liked had the window sticker and it said $33,000.  But then we go inside and the sales guy says yeah, that's the price of the Jeep, but it doesn't include the lift kit, and the tires, which is going to add $8000-$10,000.  I said "well sorry for wasting your time, but that is going to put us way outside our window.  He said hold on, let me ask my manager.  Big alpha male comes over, explains to me that MOPAR lift kits are $9000 plus installation, but that is only way a Jeep can be lifted and still remain under warranty.  I said great, but I can do the math in my head and it'll be too much.  He says "what was your price point?  Where would you be comfortable?"  Going with what Boy said, I said price has to be under $600.  He very confidently says "If I can do under $600, do we have a deal?"  I had to say hold on, I need to discuss this with Wife.  He said "ok, but I am here to move metal.  Let me know when you are ready."
    While discussing it with Wife, who calmly said "as long as our payment doesn't change, do whatever."  This is where Boy started backpedaling, saying uhhh, maybe I can pay $150-$200.  "What do you spend your money on?"  I asked impatiently.  He said he spends about $200 a month on board games and other entertainment games like video games and comic books.  Today, he admits he really wants a new Jeep, but doesn't want to be involved paying for anything.  I said it doesn't work that way, Boy.  He is now actively lookin for a Ford Edge or a Ford Escape.  We found examples of this at Ford for around $22000.  This makes him happy, as he thinks he wont have to pay anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment