Tuesday, June 28, 2016

6/27/16 Home Sweet Home?

    It is sure nice to get back home after going somewhere.  The second day driving back home started a little rough.  We told my folks we were not going to rush back.  There were only less than seven hours to go and check out time was noon.  We got up for some complimentary breakfast around 10am, then went back to the room and showered and what not.  I like to time myself to be out the door with just a few minutes to check out.  So far, so good.
    By the time we came down to the lobby, my folks were sitting there waiting for us.  I had a bunch of stuff still to pack, even though I had come down earlier and brought down the big luggage.  Wife checked us out and my folks followed us into the Excursion which still does fabulous work on the highway after 12 years.  We were doing so well, chit chatting, killing mile after mile, when my mom got a call from the hotel.  Turns out, she forgot her camera when she sat down in the lobby, it got away from her.  For a couple minutes she discussed with the receptionist sending it to her by mail, but I knew we would have to go back for it.  I pulled over right as we were to get on the 18 mile bridge and headed back.  Mom said not to, but really, what could I do.  I would have been a dick to just say tough, there was no rush other than being tired and wanting to get home.  I thought it had only been about 10-15 minutes, but we were already 45 miles down the road.  Going back, set us back about 1.5 hours, instead of getting back to Austin at 7-ish, we got back closer to 9:00pm.
    I drove two hours, but only covered about thirty miles before giving up the driver's seat, then Wife drove about three hours.  After my nap, I drove the rest of the way, from Baytown East of Houston to the house.  We discussed stopping to eat, but really I just wanted to get home.  We got some snacks to tide us over at the Baytown Buc-ee's and we were on our way.  There was a strange "bum" there.  I caught his staring at me which I thought weird.  He pointed at my Wife trying to hand me the keys and he laughed at my shirt.  He kept walking while Wife and the boys got off and stretched while I pumped gas.  As soon as I was left alone the guy came back and told me his song and dance about needing $27 for a car part.  I rolled my eyes when I saw him coming back, I knew there was something to him initially talking to me.  My line is I do not carry cash, I pay with my credit card, sorry.
    It felt great to get home and unload everything from the Excursion.  Wife talked about getting dinner, but I was in no mood to go anywhere, plus Boy was ready to leave for his apartment within minutes of getting home, saying he was working on campus the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment