Friday, May 27, 2016

5/28/16 Children's Shows Teach Kids Adults Are Stupid?

    I was at my folks again this weekend for an interview that I think was a waste of Wife's time.  The job description was changed almost overnight, when that happens I believe it can only be to fit a specific candidate, oh well, school's loss.  I did get a chance to see our family dynamic at work.  My brother's daughter is stressing a little bit about flying for the first time to Florida.  I have only flown twice, but I have the most experience in our family, other than my Dad, who was flown to Vietnam to serve his country, then back via Hawaii, then California and finally home.  Somebody said ask Grandpa, it's nothing to fly, she looks at him and chuckles "you've never gone anywhere Grandpa."  Her Dad about did the record scratch "eerrrttt" sound.  Grandpa fought in Vietnam, he killed people for our country, how do you think he got there?  Big shrug of the shoulders "idk, a car maybe???"  She's 11, and everyone was loud, but I just laughed "cars go over oceans? nice."
    I didn't go making her feel bad, I wasn't testing her knowledge of history, but my other brother kept going, saying this is a product of the crap Disney programming she watches.  All adults in those shows are stupid or incompetent.  Why is this?  What is the gain in teaching these naïve kids that adults are bungling nincompoops?  I remember shows like Father Knows Best, or Leave It To Beaver, even Happy Days, the dad showed up after a hard day at work and he would dispense knowledge, and the kids would listen. 
    Phineus and Ferb are two genius boys who create elaborate play-scapes and anything else they want, except the snotty sister is always trying to bust them with their mom.  I don't believe there is a decent dad character in any of these modern shows like "I Carly", "Charlie", "Dog With A Blog", "Wizards Of Waverly Place".  I do notice all these kids live in big two story houses, have all the modern conveniences, but I'm sorry.  In the real world, stupid dads get to live in trailer parks or apartment complexes.  You don't get to live in 3000-4000 square feet houses if the parents are as stupid as Disney would have you believe.
    I don't let that type of shit float in my house.  I don't mind my boys being silly, I don't even mind Chubs punching me too much, if we are joking around.  But he better know everything he gets or has or does is because Mama and Daddy are smarter than anybody else they know.  Sometimes Chubs starts up with so and so said this or that, and I say nope.  Trust me, you are surrounded by Donkeys.  If I say something is a certain way, then I am telling you the truth.  He had a hard time with my words, but he is starting to notice like I say "You ever notice friend X knows everything?"  He comes home every day with some anecdote about X said this and then he said that.  I say "see?"
    Maybe it's just a war thing, it is said girls are incapable of caring about any information about war stuff.  I was letting Chubs read over my shoulder a minute ago, and he couldn't believe his cousin thought you could drive to Vietnam.  Wife says they start learning Geography in 3rd grade.  She is generally a very smart girl.  I'll believe she got flustered because everyone was focused on her, but maybe boys are smarter about stuff.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment