Wednesday, May 18, 2016

5/18/16 Doubting My Ability To Handle A Dog?

    Chubs has been the very definition of a hemorrhoid the last month.  Being that he can get online by himself, he has spent a good deal of time reading about different breeds of dogs.  He came to the conclusion that the beagle would be perfect for him.  It is a sturdy, playful dog, with a lot of energy and they generally get along with clumsy kids.  I even was able to go one better and found what are deemed "pocket beagles", which are smaller beagles, instead of growing to 13 or 15 inches at the shoulders, these only get to about 10 inches and don't get above 20 pounds.
    The one breeder above Dallas that claims to be Texas certified to sell "pocket beagles" had 1-2 puppies, but just today put on their web page a handful of other pups available in the next couple weeks.  First of all, I about choke on the price, between $1095 and $1595.  They seem to favor the females as they tend to be pricier, the one at $1595 has chocolate coloring instead of the normal black, brown and white.  She also has blue eyes, obviously if I were to get one, I want the rarer looking one.  Plus females aren't going to piss all over my house, like a male will.  Another small negative is the distance, the farm claims to be 90 miles north of Dallas, and Dallas is already a three hour drive for us.
    Then if we get him, we have plans to go to Florida for a week, what do we do with the pup?  My brother is teasing he is coming back, so he would be the first choice, but after that, it gets iffy.  I don't want to pay to put him in a kennel, I was told it could get expensive.  I could either leave it with Girlie, but they are already too many peeps at her place, or let her stay at our house while we are away, but she is interested in herself, I'm not sure she has enough time to spend with a new puppy.  Then there is the cost of going to a vet for the first shots.  There's a rabies shot, deworming shots, and others I'm sure.  How about if we decide to train the dog at PetSmart or something like that?  More money, is all I hear.
    The list of cons is getting longer.  I like making my boys happy, but this might be a bridge too far.  Boy is also waiting to pounce, I know as soon as we pull the trigger on a dog for Chubs, he is going to say "what about me?"  He's kind of dumb, wants exotic dog breeds I can't even pronounce the names to.  All this puppy talk is just a bad dream, I want to wake up and be past it.  Hopefully, without a dog.  Boy could always be bought when he was little, I could offer something else and he would forget about what he was asking for.  Chubs is like an elephant, does not forget anything.  He is also figuring out ways to outsmart us.  He's tried reverse psychology, he  has even offered us his Florida money, saying here, I've been to Florida a lot, I don't need souvenirs.  I've been giving him $20 every time I get paid for almost a year.  He has like $500.  It is almost half the cost of a male.  Maybe after we get back from our vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment