Tuesday, January 5, 2016

1/5/16 Evaluating My Time Off?

    I really think my almost two weeks off was something I needed and although I used up a lot of my vacation time, what I got for it, was a very good trade off.  I had noticed other coworkers in the past, save their time so they could take the two weeks off, and I used to think "sucker", more OT for me.  But I see with the given days off, it isn't too hard to stretch the time and do both weeks for a minimal hit on our PTO (personal time off), plus I was with my boys and Wife every day, and miraculously, we didn't hardly fight or argue like we usually do, so the time was overall enjoyable.
    The first weekend of the Christmas break was good, what with last minute shopping, and my folks coming in, I enjoy the built-in "need" to go shopping for loved ones and friends.  Because Santa takes care of the boys big items, I have taken to making it my job to filling their stockings with smaller gag gifts and interesting things I find while we are shopping.  Both boys got a pen, that has a reversible screwdriver on the opposite end, one of the sides has markings to measure up to four inches, and even a level is in the pen.  I also found some cool Dr. Who goodies, like earphones that look like the TARDIS for Chubs, Boy got a carabiner with 14 tools he can also use as a keychain.  I also look for exotic candies at Central Market and throw those in there.
    My folks and I had a misunderstanding, but I have made what I believe are the necessary changes, to keep everyone happy (meaning I added more beds).  Now to see when somebody comes back to test the house again.  I am sure everyone will sleep happily ever after from now on.
    Most every day was sleeping until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, followed by eating, then napping, then more eating, maybe a shower, then settle into some late night TV watching, while I wrote these blogs which sometimes feel like homework, when I don't have a new thought in my head.  We have been visiting a lot with our friends who had left the state and came back suddenly right before christmas.
    We did manage to drive down to Crystal City, my hometown, to drop off gifts, we only went for the day, it worked out good, Boy even took his friends to show them around.  The next day we drove to San Antonio for New Year's, and to take christmas gifts to them.  My father-in-law had a big scare, he was making menudo (mexican delicacy, consisting of cow stomach chunks in a broth), when he went to take the top off his pressure cooker, it malfunctioned and burned him brutally all over his stomach and hands.  He ended up with 2nd degree burns, and my mother-in-law was not happy with me joking about having some menudo with a hint of father-in-law as the secret sauce.  Boy again took some friends, and after the fireworks and fun, we were home by 3:00am or so.
    Time has of course moved way too fast, but we cleaned the house waiting for our new mattresses, put away the christmas trees, decorations on the stair rails, oh yeah, we got the guy at the mattress store to throw in two free pair of bed frames so the mattresses in the guest rooms are off the floor and we don't look so ghetto.  Only thing I need to work on is turning on pool pumps to get rid of green algae.  I hate messing around outside in the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment