Friday, January 15, 2016

1/15/16 Chubs Started A Diet?

    Our baby is a big boy, he was born 9lbs, 9oz and he has not let go of the throttle, he has been constantly putting on weight to the point where even I am starting to think we need to slow it down.  I see him and at this point he just kind of reminds me of my younger brother, I saw him go from baby to oversized big guy and I am also built that way.  The last thing I have wanted is to shame him for how he came out.  I always figure he will hit a growth spurt and hopefully his height will catch up with his girth, but at eleven years old, he is already about 5ft 3in, and in the 215lb range.
    Santa bought him a bike for Christmas and with the mild weather the last couple of days, we have been outside trying to get to learn how to drive it.  I am kind of excited at this idea because he could be my partner that Wife never was.  We have a huge greenbelt area behind our house, and before he came along, I spent a lot of time on my bike.  Getting off the bike is one of the reasons I put on an extra hundred pounds myself.  Once he can ride, it would be easy to imagine us going for long bike rides into the woods and going around town to the different trails I used to ride.
    He really got his own wake up call when the school sent him a note home, saying they had been evaluated, his height and weight were taken, a little spotting around the armpits indicating possibly early onset diabetes signatures, plus his overall lifestyle which we accept has been lazy and non-healthy.  Now that a light was shone on him from the outside, he seems motivated to do better.  Wife was talking about no more eating out after school, of course that only applies when it is the two of us, if she comes early or on the weekends, then of course we should eat lunch somewhere outside the house.  Chubs was not happy with her coming around and breaking our routine of eating a sandwich and some fruit, but he was strong enough to just get a fajita salad, and he avoided the tortillas with honey which he would fight us and eat even two if we dropped our guard after finishing his tacos before.
    It is going to be an uphill battle for the three of us, but if we want to stick around long term, it is in our best interest to start making healthier choices.  I am all for the bike thing, because it was something that worked for me in the past.  It is a very simple math problem:  calories consumed - calories burned off = fat in the ass.  If we can burn the calories on a bike ride, there will be less calories to settle on our big fat heinies.

No comments:

Post a Comment