Saturday, August 8, 2015

8/9/15 Between A Rockport And A Hard Place?

    It is towards the end of summer, we've all had our fun.  My folks went to our regular RV park, my in-laws just joined the RV game (buying a hell of a deal from a friend of my brother in-law).  My brother in-law just bought an RV last summer, but because we went to Florida at the start of the summer, they didn't bring their units up until late June.  By then, our regular RV park gave up their spots.  They found another park and honestly, I like what the park offers.  It allows one to bring his/her boat, the rent is $100 less than in our old place, it is right on the water, with a pier for fishing in the back of the property.
    In fairness to the other park, it is really convenient for the big city stuff, such as the malls and the many assortments of restaurants a large town offers.  Ocean Drive, which to me is Corpus is about ten  minutes away.  Bob Hall Pier, the place where we have gone to the beach 80-90% of our lives is 10-15 minutes away.  HEB and Walmart are five minutes away.
    My folks coming from a tiny town with barely a Pizza Hut and a town horse the village elders share to get around, really fancy staying in Corpus for the big city amenities, whereas my in-laws who already live in San Antonio fell in love with the Rockport RV Park because it is cozy and quiet.  I will admit the beach seems better in Rockport, as it is a bay of some kind and there are barely any waves.  You can go a good 100 yards out in the water and it is still only about 2-3 feet deep.  Bob Hall Pier has always been our beach, but year in and year out, we never know if the beach will stink with dead seaweed, be composed of dark brown water or actually be green and beautiful like beach water should be.
    The only solution I can think of is to find another RV park totally neutral in between the two and we stay there.  Rockport ends up being 40 minutes to an hour to our normal places, so it is kind of far, but that seems like a weak excuse to tell my in-laws "see ya, wouldn't want to be ya."  Then again, after seeing my sister give me the evil eye and her unwillingness to just be human, maybe a little distance is alright.  I come to the beach to relax, not to be stressed that work starts next week, I don't give a crap, "My work never took a break!!"
    I do love hanging out with my Mom and Dad, and of course I love my sister and her hubby is always Mr. Cool, but I can't help feel we're competing for Mother's attention when more than one of her kids is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment