Sunday, August 30, 2015

8/30/15 Just The Tip?

    Thursday night I was at work, fixing to come home around 8:30pm.  I have an arrangement with my Supervisor, I officially work in two week increments, and the first week I am supposed to work Monday night to Thursday night, for 12 hours a night.  This automatically gives me 48 hours, so 8 hours are paid at OT rates.  The second week, I was told to work 40 hours even.  It was suggested I do 10 hours a night, Monday night through Thursday night, but I gamble that there will be work and that they will let me stay, so I work 12 hour nights Monday through Wednesday night, and Thursday night I do four hours unless, there is work that needs to be done.  By the way, these are hours from when we were part of the big fabs working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Back to Thursday night, there was hardly any work.  I was kind of taking it easy, talking to Wife on phone about going to the coast one last time, then talking to my Mom, just checking in, night was slow enough, I didn't feel guilty.  Around 8:30pm though, I got a call from the other supervisor who watches the other guys who still actually work for the fab.  We share the same space and many of the same tools.  We are familar enough with their technology and work, that when they get backed up, they send us work.  He had some work for us, I quickly text my supervisor who was either having a party or just does not keep track of her phone, but finally says to stay at 10:30pm.  I put ina full night of twelve hours instead of four, then I get a text Friday that I can do another full night.  All of a sudden, I have an extra twenty hours on my timesheet, all at OT rates.
    I come in Friday, and that one guy I like arguing with, is there.  He starts with the "what are you doing here?" routine.  I joke with him that "yall are too slow, your boss called in the big guns.  He then said "you should give him a tip, for all the work he gives you."  I had not thought of that.  His supervisor has made me $1000's of dollars, in OT.  He is a supervisor, he makes a good living, possibly makes more money than me.  Is it cool to give him a tip, or would it look like a bribe if I started giving him money?  The whole thing sounds weird to me.  I was thinking maybe a nice christmas gift.  Wife says gift certificate for a steakhouse for 2.  I was thinking nice big bottle of tequila.  He didn't have to call me thursday night, he could've waited until Friday, which I would've missed all that money, if I had gone off to the coast like we almost did.

No comments:

Post a Comment