Sunday, August 2, 2015

8/2/15 Stunning Fear?

    Today was interesting, we went and spent the day at Rockport Beach with my in-laws.  It was a very pleasant time, the water went out at least a football field's length with water varying between 2-3 ft deep.  It was also very warm and a pretty color of green.  Yesterday's blog was about trying new things, and come to find out the most interesting thing about today was finding out my folks lived here in Corpus Christi back around 1971 for three years and never made it around to any other beach.
    They did frequent the water's edge by the T-heads in downtown Corpus, and even the beachy areas but they never ventured out.  Mom claims it was just a matter of being so poor, that gas was a luxury, the car was used for school and work.  She did always talk a lot about walking to the beach, I didn't take it as literally walking from their doorway to the beach, but that was their idea of a pleasant afternoon.  Another funny footnote was that Dad worked an ice delivery route all from Portland to Rockport, so he was still familar with going to Rockport, but never grabbed his wife and spectacular son (me) to take out this way.
    Wife and I have been fortunate enough to always be able to do as we wish.  We have never even thought about gassing up a car and going wherever.  My constraint has always been time, not money or gas.  But then again, I love my work, so I don't generally mind spending as much time as I do there.
    So now we are in a good position, we invite our folks to vacation with us.  They should see more places than they have.  We have started initial talks of going out to the desert and up north this Spring Break.  I know my folks, first they'll be excited, then they'll start with the excuses of why they can't go.  I sense they will stick with needing to watch my brother's new dog rather than go on a once in a lifetime type of trip.  But knowing that they could have visited a new beach every weekend they lived in Corpus, yet stuck to the same place, tells me, they don't take to change too well.
    This makes me even more proud of my accomplishments, vacation wise.  We have encouraged both parents to get into the RV game, along with my bother in law.  We were the first ones out to Disney World in Florida, taking my folks twice since then.  Not to mention the timeshare we bought has had us by Palestine Lake, to Galveston, Lake Conroe, and counting.  I hope they stick around long enough so they can vacation with us on my boat overnight.  That will happen sometime in the near future.  I want a big boat out in Lake Travis just to chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment