Saturday, October 3, 2020

10/3/20 Quickie Trip To My Folks On A Friday?

     Life pretty much dictates what we do on a day to day basis.  Baby Jesus, as he is now being called by the coaches, had his first game on Thursday night, and Wife happily drove up to see her baby play his first varsity game.  Her first idea was to take Friday off, but her boss had better ideas and asked her to cover the office as a few other people, including him, beat her to ask for the day off.  Since she drove up and had to drive back down Friday early in the morning, she asked us to join her.  Normally, this would not have been possible, but since Baby Jesus has classes online, he can pretty much log in from anywhere in the world and not miss classes.  This is a short week for me, so I only worked Monday through Wednesday night and was free to travel or whatever.

    We left the house at 5:00am which is the hardest part of this whole thing because she has to be at the office by 7:30am.  She has done this enough times to figure that she makes it just in time, provided there are no accidents to lengthen the travel time.  The trips both to and from were pretty smooth, except for on the way back, there is a portion of the freeway that is under construction coming back and that slowed us down a bit, but that was ok.

    After Wife got off at work, we continued on our way to Crystal City and got there about twenty minutes later, before 8:00am.  My folks were already up and drinking coffee, which was perfect as we didn't get anything on the road, so a couple cups of coffee were perfect.  It is a weird feeling over there, again because of Covid-19.  The kids were all off because the school were shut down for disinfecting as a couple teachers came down positive for the virus even as the kids are all home schooling.  My attorney brother is mostly working from home, seeing clients and judges through zoom sessions.  He is actually dressed like the skits on Youtube show professionals with a dress shirt and tie up top and warm-up pants on the bottom, it takes a minute to get used to the look.  My sister was also around in and out all day, she works for the school as an administrator but also checks in through the computer, I guess.  My folks are retired so they get to be home, and even my other brother was there.  He is not working, but my other brother is paying him to be a private tutor for his kid to keep him on task for his classes as he is a little ADD and has trouble staying focused, as do most 2nd graders.

    We hung out all day just catching up, joking around, talking politics, arguing over who is the biggest idiot, my siblings all say it's me, and vice versa.  I love the whole butting heads we do, and I joked to Sweetie when we got back that she would have had a "good time" being in my shoes as she said she felt her anxiety building just from hearing how we go at each other.  She says we argue for sport, I just think when people are smart, they come at you from unexpected angles, so you have to be on your toes, I needed to bathe in the energy of my people, it felt good coming back.  Wife had her stories coming back and I had mine.  We talked until we got close to San Antonio then I honestly fell asleep for about an hour.  I don't know how Wife has the energy to get up at 4:00am and go all day.  I got up at the same time, although I was up almost two hours longer the night before, but all worked out fine.  It is now Saturday morning, I have some chickens to smoke later today, a Longhorn game to watch at noon and nice weather outside if we choose to do anything after.

No comments:

Post a Comment