Sunday, October 11, 2020

10/12/20 My Parents Finally Visited?

     It had to be since January or February that my parents had not visited but they finally came this weekend.  My mom wanted to come and see Baby Jesus in at least one of his football games.  I know if they were closer she would probably attend with us every week, but the distance is a challenge so it was nice to have her join us even if the game was a lopsided affair.  I already discussed the game, so I won't get into that, overall we were very rushed to get there, but I enjoyed going with Wife on one side and my mom on the other.  My dad and brother stayed at the house, they just don't feel comfortable going out in public and I am not about to force them.  We were able to pick up our kid after and bring him home with us.  He was an angry and disappointed version of himself.  Usually, he is super confidant and likes to tell me that the score would have been only half as much if he had played more because he would have made some important stops and stuff like that, but he was not in the mood to talk afterwards.  We drove home and he was about back to normal by the next morning.

    Wife and I ended up staying up until about 3:30am.  I had talked to my mom before she went to sleep and she mentioned going to the mall, so I then did the math and because I had offered to smoke a brisket for them, I needed to do the math and fit in a ten to twelve hour cook time and yet have time to leave the house.  I went upstairs and told Wife how about we go early and leave the brisket cooking by itself?  She thought this was a bad idea, if we got held up or the grill did something weird, I wouldn't be there to respond and then the meat might get ruined.  Because of this, I suggested going down and getting it going through the night and it might be ready by 1:00pm or so.  By the time we came down, turned on the grill and prepped the brisket it was pretty much 2:00am.  While I was messing around with my grill, Wife was prepping the cauliflower salad, which is potato salad without the potatoes, very freaking good.  She got done after 3:00am, then we went to bed.  I thought I would wake like usual, every two hours and I would come down to look at the grill, but I slept solid until 7:30am.  I woke in a panic thinking the pellets might have run low or something.  Everything was fine, thankfully, but I still topped off the pellet hopper, just in case.  I decided to take the brisket off at noon, which was about 11 hours of smoking.  It was good, but not the best, I am not sure about grass fed brisket, I was not impressed, but we ate then went to the mall for a couple hours.

    We came back and hung out the rest of the day, I really needed a nap, I only slept about 4 hours at night, but woke around 8:00pm after sleeping maybe an hour and came down, drank coffee with my folks and we talked and had a pretty good time the rest of the evening.  After everybody else went to bed, my brother and I got into a pretty good discussion about stuff.  We touched on religion, he gave me his musings on life, and how it makes sense to him.  Honestly, I was mesmerized and kept telling him he needs to write some of these ideas into stories or something.  He has a take on the history of the start of mankind, and other deep thinking stuff.  It is usually hard to focus on his opinions and point of view because he kind of screams and gets easily excited but he was very laid back and just flowed with his thought process.  It was the first time that I got my mom's constant opinion that he is probably the brightest of her kids.  I usually just roll my eyes because of course I am the brightest in my opinion, as my other brother sits nearby saying he is the smartest, and of course my sister demands that she is the smartest.

    They said they were leaving early Sunday, but my mom wanted to make a run to Home Depot or Lowe's, so they didn't end up leaving until around 3:00pm.  She did buy a small freezer, she liked mine enough to, and she also bought a pressure washer which she had been kicking around the idea to do that along with some bulbs and other stuff.  They left once we got back home, but my dad said he liked where I had put the guest bed and that it wouldn't be a problem for them to come back, he had been very comfortable, which I did like.  The weekend about ran out but we did manage to squeeze a little bit of extra Sunday afternoon.... to be con't.

No comments:

Post a Comment