Thursday, October 29, 2020

10/30/20 Crockett Won Anther One?

     I did not know what to expect coming into this game.  LASA was formerly LBJ High School which to me meant the team would have had mostly black kids and they are usually very good and tough.  This team, however, was not that.  I hate to be mean and maybe they lost some key players for failing classes, but this team was barely able to get a couple of first downs all game long.  As much as I hated the first two games for our boys which were blow-outs that the opposition scored over 70 points, I do not enjoy sitting and watching our boys do it to other schools and this was the same thing, where Crockett won 55-0.

    The only problem for this household is that our son is who he is and I hate to say it, but he was outplayed on the field which made for a very pissed off little man-child when he got in the car.  The defensive tackle in front of him was faster and stronger than him.  He kept beating and getting to the quarterback.  It is only unfair in that Baby A is a sophomore and the other guy was a senior.  I could laugh at it a little bit because Crockett won by such a big margin, but I know he did not enjoy himself.  I will say and we tried telling him to calm him down that he did much better in the second half and pretty much neutralized the guy.  He was so mad at himself, he said he told the coach to take him out because he sucked and was letting the team down.  I am sure the coach would have, but like I told him (as the great/mediocre (?) Donald Rumsfeld once said) we go to war with the army we have, not the one we wish we had.  I don't think the coaches had too many options to throw in there, the team is down to 25 players.  I liked that he said the coach told him to "take responsibility for the role you have."  He then gave him a little Yoda knowledge when Baby A said "I'll try."  The coach told him if you're only going to try, then you have already admitted defeat.  "Do.  or Do Not, there is no try." That is what our son heard.

    I have to admit that I got a little mad at our kid in the car.  This is the fifth game and it doesn't seem to matter, win or lose, he gets in the car mad and pissy.  I asked him "why are you playing the game, if you are going to be upset if you win or you lose?"  I keep it real as the kids say, adding "you got outplayed most of the game, but you hung in there and basically stopped him in the second half.  Enjoy the fact that you won, you could have done better, yes, but ultimately, you won."  He seemed to get out of his funk, saying "yes, I know we won, and that is great, but I feel as though I should have played better."  I came back with "the guy was probably a senior, more experienced, bigger, and faster than you.  You are only a sophomore, the coaches know you are still learning and they know you are giving it your best, you never quit out there."

    We changed the subject a bit and focused on the fact that we had wings to grill when we got home with sausages.  Once he took his shower and got more comfortable, it was chilly and he was all wet from being sweaty, he calmed down.  We joked about the game some more and even saw some of it from my videos and we got back to where he was laughing again.  Pictures show him in action.




No comments:

Post a Comment