Thursday, June 4, 2020

6/4/20 The Problem With High Self Esteem?

    I was listening to an interview with Adam Carolla and this is what I gleamed off of it.  I think the man is a genius and more people should listen to him.  He was talking about how we accidentally created a generation of kids with high self-esteem.  It may not have been accidental and more by design, as he mentioned, he thinks it might have even started in California, although he didn't mention the name of the person starting it.  The consequences are unexpected as the start of the process was initially to help kids feel better about themselves (after divorce, or from living a life of poverty, for eample), no one saw that we would be creating little self-entitled monsters who think their opinions matter.
    Growing up, Adam goes and I had very much the same feeling, walking down the street and if I walked up to strange man and he were to tell me stop and give me 20 (push-ups), I would probably stop and only ask if he preferred regular or hands in a diamond pattern.  This was because this was a man older and presumably wiser than me.  I would give him the respect that he deserved just for being older.  This later was relevant in the workplace.  He mentions a quickie story of his boss at a construction site telling him to go get his level from the truck.  Adam says he starts walking towards it and the boss yells run, and he takes off running, not even thinking that was unnecessary or even a little demeaning or whatever.  I was like that, my first real job with my uncle roofing during the summers of college.  I got a lot of "ooh, I would have already got that whole truck's worth of shingles up on the roof, don't tell me you're tired."  This, in 100 degree weather down in south Texas, what do you do when your uncles are busting your ass?
    Adam then brought it forward to today, if he was theoretically on a campus (he didn't go to college) and someone who he didn't agree with was coming to talk, he would just avoid it and go about his day.  Kids today are not about that.  How high is their self esteem that not only are they offended by someone wanting to talk on a campus they attend, they do not own it, and then to feel it is their right to stop the discussion that this person was going to conduct via demonstration or by acting the fool is beyond the understanding of most adults.
    I always think when I was at UT there might have been shit going on, I just wanted to get out of class, go home, eat a snack and then hang out either working out or playing basketball, or even swimming before doing homework all evening.  I didn't give two shits about what was going on at campus and I never in a million years thought it would be my job to put a stop to anything.  Campuses are where you go to share ideas and thoughts, if people who think differently than you can't express themselves on a campus, then where?

No comments:

Post a Comment