Monday, June 22, 2020

6/22/20 Dryer Died A Second Time?

    A few weeks ago, I mentioned I repaired our expensive ass dryer by following instructions on a Youtube video.  This worked great for about 3 weeks but yesterday again it made a popping sound and started giving me the same F40 error.  At this point I could try to re-fix it but I know it isn't going to last very long.  I decided it would just be better to go and get a new machine.  We had spent the better part of the day cleaning up the kitchen (this all happened Friday), but after a quick shower, we headed to Lowe's around 7:30pm.
    Before going, I was thinking out loud about what am I going to do with the old dryer, I am starting to look like Sanford and Son in the garage with the old washer still sitting there and now a dryer, along with our old treadmill and all the other junk.  DD said if we wanted, he could call his mom, they collect stuff like that and dispose of it someplace where they get a little money for the metal.  I told him, yes, get her to come and haul the shit away.  Shoot, they were there in like 30 minutes, with a small trailer, loaded up the washer and dryer.  Wife then suggested the old treadmill should go too, although I believe it technically still worked the last time I turned it on, this might have been ten years ago and we have another $1500 treadmill in our room that also hasn't been used in 6 months, at least.  The space in the garage did open up after getting rid of those three large bulky items.
    Then we went to Lowe's and shopped around for basically the cheapest machine we could get.  We saw one for $430 and that sounded about right.  When we finally got a guy to help us, I explained that I was done with the priciest, most sophisticated machine, I just want something cheap that will get the job done.  When I pointed at our choice, he suggested a Maytag unit that he said was just a little more, but the internals are way more robust and it is just a better machine for $480.  I said that was fine, rushed home to plug it in and then I remembered that for whatever stupid reason, dryers don't come with a wire to plug into the wall.  As I looked at my phone, it was 8:57pm, and Lowe's closes at 9:00pm.  I was all GRRR! because although the sales guy was great and he offered to check us out right where he was, I also felt rushed out of the store.
    I brought the machine home and put it in the washroom, and left it alone.  I then got up early (well, 9:30am) and went to Lowe's for the wire, Academy for my dehydrator, and HEB for some fresh meat.  I got back and as I was getting the stuff off, DD was sitting there bored, he was up early because he was supposed to work but nobody else showed up.  He offered to run the wire on the dryer, then he put the little legs on it and even hooked up the exhaust which I always fight with because I am so fat to get behind the machine.
    This machine was less than half of what the last dryer cost, with its fancy steam option and digital display.  I hope to get many good years from this unit or I might just have to run a line in the backyard and hang everything out for the sun to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment