Tuesday, June 23, 2020

6/23/20 Father's Day Turned Out Better Than I Hoped?

    I wasn't expecting much for Father's Day, usually we get together with one or the other side of our families and enjoy the weekend that way.  This year, again, we are here quarantining alone.  I would say the Father's Day experience was a whole weekend vibe type of thing.  Friday, we cleaned the kitchen pantry and drawers below the counters.  Saturday, we kind of dragged ass all day because we were all still tired from Friday.  I did get up early, went to Academy, Lowe's, and HEB.  I had gotten a little obsessed with the idea of getting a dehydrator and then buying meat to make my own beef jerky.  What is better than homemade?
    Saturday was spent making jerky, I see why it is so expensive.  The meat is pricey at almost $8/lb or so.  There is a lot of time to prep between cutting the meat thinly, making the marinade, marinating the meat and then waiting for it to get absorbed.  Filling up the trays, then the drying time, the first time, with about 3.5 pounds, it took almost 4 hours to get really nice and dry.  At least once I set the trays up I went and took a long nap.  I came down two hours later, rotated the trays, apparently all the comments sections seemed to suggest that the dehydrators don't dry evenly.  They are better with the meat closest to the fan, so the trays benefit from getting rotated.
    With DD now occupying the guest room downstairs, we felt like the only place to watch TV is in our room, so we went back upstairs and Wife watched crappy chick flick movies while I slept until 10:00pm.  This is when the night got cool.  We went back downstairs, I think we ate some Double Dave's Pizza, we are doing Atkins, and they have crusts made with cauliflower.  It really worked out as it was real tasty and the crust almost seemed like the real deal.  Javalina was with us and we had ordered him a regular meat lover's pizza which he about devoured.  We started watching Flash Gordon after Wife mentioned she had it recorded now for like 2 months.  We like watching movies with Javalina because he makes the funniest comments.
    We stayed up until 5:00am and watched three movies.  I thought I would have fallen asleep, but I was able to hang in there.  Watching them on the projector was also good with all the action so large.  We saw Flash Gordon, Mamma Mia 2, and Rocketman.  It was great seeing the cheesiness of Mamma Mia and having Javalina comment at every turn.
    We got up Sunday at noon-ish and without even taking a shower, Wife forced me to go to HEB to buy stuff to grill.  I didn't want to go, just because, but we were going to grill and we needed meat and stuff for the week.  The day was great after that.  I cleaned the grill and got the fire going, Wife took care of the grilling.  In the meantime, I prepped another 5 pounds of jerky, it was intended to be sent to my folks and family to taste.  The rest of the afternoon was just spent waiting on the meat from the grill, eating and hanging out with the family.  Even Ditto has been more open and talking with us like a member of the family.  Late at night, he was showing me his newest obsession, cameras.  He bought an old fashion medium format film camera and he was showing me how manual it is.  I like when he has stuff to tinker with, it is what he does best, figuring how things work.

No comments:

Post a Comment