Wednesday, August 2, 2017

8/2/17 Am I Cheap?

    Chubs just spent a week and a half over at my mom's house, partially to visit and partially to indoctrinate to the "right" way of living.  All my immediate family lives within shouting distance of each other.  My folks live in the house we grew up in, my brother and his family bought the house next door, and eventually my sister and her family bought the property behind my folk's house, tore down the old mess, and built a new home.  Add to that my other brother went back home after not agreeing with the Austin lifestyle (the one that titled me The Liberal Faggot) and there is a concentrated smell of Gallegos essence where X marks the spot.  Walking in there is like walking into a beehive, as a member you will be accepted, but you better not think you can avoid a stinger or two, specially from Mr. Lawyer who loves getting under your skin.
    Chubs is not argumentative, for all his love of talking, and he normally doesn't shut up, he will not verbally combat somebody he is supposed to respect because he doesn't like to get in trouble.  The minute he got up here though, he was telling me about my sister telling him he should really be wearing Jordan's or some name brand shoes.  Then he told me how they kept telling him what he was wearing didn't match and to go back and change into something that looked better together.
    I want to agree with them, and if I was down there maybe, but Jordan's up here are for the cool black kids.  Boy would not wear them when he was in high school, the last thing I want is for Chubs to get "jumped" for some fucking shoes because of a label.  He has reasonably priced shoes, mostly like New Balance because he has a wide foot and until this past year, he hadn't really bothered figuring out how to tie his shoelaces, when you're a chubby guy, it's a long way down, I know the feeling.  I don't use this as an excuse to be cheap though, he wanted boots like his brother, so in the spring I bought him some Ecco boots that cost me like $250, then he proceeded to wear them 1-2 times, so that was awesome.
    As far as his clothes matching or not, just look to dad, I don't care if my shirts match too much.  I reach for the closest cleanest thing and put it on.  The beauty of living in a big city is no one knows you, so nobody cares.  Back in Crystal, you can't go to the HEB without saying hi to half the city, as a person who has a hard time with names, I always freaking hated this.  I am much happier being anonymous, when I see a familiar face once in a while, my first reaction is always "son of a bitch!!!, Wife what is his/her name, quick!"
    He had a good time, he enjoyed going to Corpus over the weekend and swimming and getting wet, but he says he likes his quiet time and his little cousins can be "annoying".  The youngest cousin insisted on watching the same cartoon over and over and when he moved from one room to another, the cousin would follow him and turn on the TV in that room and put the cartoon on, ahh, the miracles of those cable boxes. 
    I am just glad things worked out the way they did.  I am fine with Wife working out of town and only seeing her on the weekends.  Chubs almost went with her, I am glad he fought to come back and although it is more work for me to keep an eye on him and drop him off and pick him up from school, he is a cool kid who knows who he is and I am happy to see him every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment