Friday, February 24, 2017

2/25/16 We Have Enemies?

    Life can be a little messed up.  We can live our whole lives in solitude in little cities of 10,000 people or less, go through life being friendly with everybody, more or less.  I pretty much grew up this way, then you get older and you start listening to the news and realize all along you had enemies you didn't know you had.
    When we were growing up, we would hear of the Russians coming from the other side of the world, in their tanks and their nukes destroying us.  It never happened, but we got plenty of movies out of it.  Red Dawn, Spies Like Us, Rocky 4 and so many more. It almost seems like Hollywood wants us to eat the shit that our leaders spew.  I guess there is money to be made, but enforcing the stereotype that the Russians hate us helps who? 
    Then we go into war with some shitty country like Vietnam, my dad and father in law both go out there, because that is what men do, in those times.  My dad has no hate for those people, but his superior officers tell him shoot mortars in that direction and before you know "Sir, yes Sir!"  Because it was mortars, my dad can't/won't say that he killed so many people, but if he is showering the sky with flying grenades and using coordinates he is told to use, mathematically, he had to hit "someone".  Those old bastards that determine who our enemy is don't sweat the details, they didn't sit with my dad when he got back and re-acclimatized to being a civilian.  By the time both my Dad and my Father in Law were back to "normal", we had moved on from that battle and determined we had a new enemy.  Bring us a new generation of men to fight our wars.
    Fast forward to today, we are told our enemy is the muslim people.  An intelligent president, like Obama, would tell us that not all muslims are bad, we cannot condemn a whole religion because of what a few have done.  A doofus, like we got today, will take no chances and just attempt to remove all "different" people in the name of security.  A friend of mine visits the middle east quite often because he likes the idea of walking where Jesus walked, says the Pakistani people are always the friendliest people over there.  I personally think it is crap that we have to have an enemy at all times.  Anybody can try and correct my thinking that they did take out the twin towers and 9/11 and all that, but the old men in charge never really got angry at Saudi Arabia, where 15 of the 19 hijackers came from.  Instead we went and destroyed Iraq, and for what?  To remove Saddam Hussein?  We put him in power there in the first place.
    I don't know what the point of this was, but I got in a big discussion with a buddy of mine and I spent too much time reading all this crap.  Then I heard a line from a song and it struck a nerve.
James Blunt "I Really Want You" has a line like:

Many Prophets preach on bended knees
Many clerics wasted wine,
Do the bloody sheets and those troubled streets mean?
I have wasted time,
Are there silver shores on paradise?
Can I come in from the cold?
I killed a man in a far away land
My enemy I'm told

No comments:

Post a Comment