Friday, February 17, 2017

2/17/17 AMD Stock?

    Who knew these stocks might eventually pay back a little bit?  I had really given up on their worth, I just didn't know of a way to sell the paper certificates I got from back in 1996-1998 or so. 
    When I started working here, we were AMD, making microprocessors and flash memory for computers and digital equipment.  Things were great, I finally started making decent money, and decided to participate in the stock purchase plan.  Every quarter, they would keep a certain percentage, that you agreed to and then they would purchase stock in your name at a 20% discount, and send you the certificate.  This was slow and steady money, sometimes I'd get 17 shares, sometimes upwards of 30 shares.  I never had a need for this money and just let it build for a few years.  There was one time when we were going to go on vacation that I decided to sell 30 shares or something.  If I remember correctly, I got around $1000, maybe more maybe less, but it made the trip more enjoyable.
    Back then, we were competing with Intel, and our stock price went up and down depending on how we were doing in any given quarter.  I believe when they announced the Athlon processor we were at our highest valuation, the stock price went to $98 or so and then split.  All of a sudden, I had 400 shares valued at $45 each.  There was speculation we were headed to $200-$300 and I stupidly believed this.  I think I got visions of actually paying off my house with this stock money, if it wenet above $200.  Of course, it tanked within a couple weeks and I held on for no real reason.
    For years, the value had been anywhere from less than a dollar to $3-4 dollars.  Since I now own about 300 shares, at best, that might be $1000.  I haven't been able to sell them, considering at one point the same pieces of paper were worth $18,000.  It just turns my stomach that I missed out.
    Well, two weeks ago, I got a piece of paper I didn't even bother opening, but Wife did and she said this is about your shares of AMD.  I said "yeah, who cares, is it up .50 cents or something?"  She said "no, actually, look it's up to around $12."  "Shit, I thought, that is not bad.  It has gained another $1.30 in the last week.  It is not what it once was, but $4000 could be nice, to pay off some credit cards or plan for our next trip to Disney.  All I have to do now, is figure out where I can take these paper certificates and get them sold.  Fewer and fewer places take them, but I'll figure it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment