Tuesday, February 21, 2017

2/21/17 No Way To Keep Score On Life?

    How do we define success if as Wife says material stuff doesn't matter?  I have always liked the motto "He with the most toys at the end wins."  But most people say I suck when I try to use this in daily conversation.  I have always thought that working hard was the way to attain a successful and meaningful life, but then I see people we know who don't try too hard.  We see people going through the motions of a semi- attentive life that looks like bullshit to me, but it is a way of life for some.  We hear of so and so just got a job, I can almost tell you how many months before they start looking for an out.  I don't think most people are interested in working.  Some people seem to work only long enough to qualify for unemployment then they hang out for awhile.
    Are these people succeeding at life?  They have found a flaw in the system and are using it to their advantage.  Because I am told that material stuff doesn't matter, I can't help that well then I am the fool who never takes time off from work.  I would love and enjoy a nice six months of no work, just to focus on me, but there is no way we could do that and not lose the house and some of the cars.  I guess I could extrapolate that thought and figure "how bad would that be?"  Would living in an apartment be the end of the world?  I say no, I used to love living in an apartment when I was at school.  Having a community pool and overlooking it, not to mention being surrounded by other college girlies.  Maybe I'm the stupid one, and if I only slowed down, I might too enjoy a carefree life of adventure and mayhem, living as a gypsy, with no place to call my own.
    Another way people want to mark success is if you are having a good time and you are happy?  No one is having a better time than the drug addict when they are getting their fix.  If you ask them if they are having fun, I believe they would say yes, they have everything they need right as they hit that high.  Do they even count as human if they are drug addicts?  We honestly have been hampered by my leg injury.  There is nothing that makes me happier than sitting in my hot tub late at night with or without friends, preferably in my birthday suit, but with my leg still having an open wound, that cannot be done yet.  Adding to that, Wife is gone all week and only here on the weekends, it is hard to even plan on getting away, so we haven't done anything really fun in a good while.
    So what is a practical way to look at life and determine who is doing it right?  Surely, it can't be all based on money.  There are too many idiots getting paid millions to play with balls and entertain us on TV.  To hear even one of them come out and try to declare the world is flat crushes my soul.  I have spent my life believing the scientists before me, thinking the greatest accomplishments in American history was going into space and this chucklehead is going to say the world is flat.  Wow!! 
    It can't be amount of free time to dedicate to yourself because I just said some of the people I know work only for short bursts and then get to hang out for long periods of time.  Meanwhile, my dumb ass gets the equivalent of one month off per year, and I better save some of that in case I get sick.  Maybe life isn't meant to be fair.  I can't be too upset, I do get to live in a big house, but dammit, that mouth breather gets to say the world is flat from a mansion a couple times bigger than my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment