Sunday, February 19, 2017

2/19/17 Garth Brook's Channel 55 Satellite Station Is Genius?

    I decided to get XM radio for my truck as a little Christmas present for myself.  No big deal, the truck was set up for it as most new cars are, nowadays.  We've had XM and Sirius a few times in various vehicles and even in the house for a few years when it first came out.  The problem was that the music gets a little stale after awhile.  I love the 60's, and even the 70's, but it feels like they play the same songs all the time.  Maybe it's the fact that past the first 4 or 5 stations which are the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc., the rest of the stations are kind of hard to find by name.  Then also we must turn a knob from one station to the next, unless a station is saved to memory.
    Wife suggested I try the Garth Channel, I ignored her at first, because it's what you do with people that know everything.  Eventually, I found it on my own and it really is a great channel.  They play his music, of course, but they also play stuff that influences him, stuff apparently his dad liked, stuff his mom liked.  If you didn't know, he's married to Trisha Yearwood, so plenty of her stuff too.  I don't know if it was his way of opening up the music selection or if it is true, but he is interviewed and clips are used between songs all the time.  He mentions his dad grew up listening to stuff like Creedence Clearwater Revival, so we hear old rock like that and Lynyrd Skynyrd one minute, then his mom loved listening to the old soul greats like Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight and the Pips, and other great stuff from the 70's.  Then when you think it has a lot of variety, he starts mentioning how he is blown away by the talents of Lady Gaga or even Katy Perry and so it becomes a station with probably 40% country, 20% old rock and roll, 20% 70's soul, and 20% newer pop stuff.
    I find myself leaving it on the station for long periods of time, I have range in my music tastes.  It is when I am taking Chubs to school in the morning where I think he might not dig some George Jones in some real old school country song that I'll change it, but even then, my other five saved channels are 60's, love station (saved because it was the Christmas channel in December), the Caliente/tropical Spanish station, the Bridge (great station almost always playing a solid song), Margaritaville (love Jimmy Buffett), and the Garth station.  I need something to replace the love station, maybe a jazz station, but I need that stupid piece of paper with the stations because I hate fidgeting through looking for what I want.  I do have 3 clusters of six stations I could save, but I always seem to be in a rush.  Maybe some lazy sunday I'll hang out in my truck and save some more stations and expand my horizons.

No comments:

Post a Comment