Thursday, February 16, 2017

2/16/17 When In Rome?

    What is it in some people that lack common sense, do they act the fool because they want all eyes on them or are they so clueless that they don't realize when they are out of bounds?  A friend of mine decided to go out, because it was Valentine's Day, they were going to do it nice.  The nicest place I know in town is Estancia Churrascaria, the Brazilian Steakhouse.  We've taken her with us, and she loves the place too, so she told the boyfriend about it and they made reservations.  I was impressed, you can easily walk out of there paying $60-70 a person.  Wife has even said that it is not a meal, it is an experience.  The gauchos take care of you, plates are exchanged at will if you are not eating everything.  From the salad, which has 4-5 different cheeses and salmon and stuff I had not seen before, to the way they cook the meat and deliver it to the table on jumbo sword-like skewers, everything feels fancy.
    Why act like I don't see it, the clientele is well to do and probably 95% white.  I know showing up there, we are going to be on our best behavior, and go over behavior with the boys at least once, meaning I will not argue with either of you idiots in there, we will behave like a normal family, meaning  I act like I am in charge, while Wife really does all the talking and schmoozing up front. 
    There are some places where you go to be seen, like the movies, or maybe a concert.  Dress obscenely and put eyes on yourself and then wonder why and even get mad when people are staring.  This is not one of those places, and dinner being at night, there is no goddamned excuse for your shitty baseball cap.  If you insist on wearing a cap, have enough sense to take it off inside, I cannot believe this still has to be said.  My friend put up one pic of them in the restaurant and all I could see was the white baseball cap, like a spotlight. 
    I checked with Boy, to make sure it isn't just that I have gotten old and he said the same thing I did.  He even added, when we have gone there in suits, we take off our jackets, and we act like we are fancy.  Boy also added, I would let the cap go at say an Olive Garden, that is not really fancy, but if the food costs more than a nice shirt, act with some class.  It isn't hard, look around at the other people, and mimic them.  That is what "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."  I blame my friend, she is the female and really Wife keeps me in line as best she can.  She needs to do the same thing.  At a certain point, you're considered a grown up, or stick to the Wings and Things kind of places. 

No comments:

Post a Comment