Monday, November 21, 2016

11/21/16 Salt Lick: One Pit To Rule Them All?

    Salt Lick is delicious, but it is out in the middle of nowhere.  My folks arrived just as we were ready to go and take Chubs and his friends for his birthday.  My Dad, ever the old man he is becoming refuses to leave the house once he gets here.  We kind of all just got used to it, but my mom also says she is not going to go if she has to drive herself because it is too far.  I tell her we will all find a way to fit in the Excursion, even if I have to throw a couple boys in the trunk.  As it turned out, the four boys who joined us fit in the third row, Chubs, my mom, and my brother in the middle row, and Wife and I in the front.  It was nine of us, my dad chose to stay at home, and my sister and her family decided it was too far and thus, stayed behind.
    It is a thirty minute ride to Salt Lick, and the boys screaming in our ears made the trip that much more annoying.  We go there after a bit and went and waited for our turn to eat.  We got one of those blinking squares and waited to be called.  My mom wondered about why it is so far out in the middle of nowhere.  I said I don't know but it allows them to do what they want, I guess.  The place started with one building the first time I went out there, and slowly grew into a second building, then a winery, and probably they'll add more in time.  I cannot imagine they could do whatever if it was here in town.  Although, looking a little deep into their website, they are now in three airports and have a separate location in Round Rock.  They were even voted 4th Best in the World's Best Airport Restaurants by the Daily Mail.
    While we waited my mom and I walked over the their winery and my mom got a bottle of moscato wine grown on site.  They also have honey made locally and soap and other nick-knacks found where wines are sold.  Not bad, considering all this started by a man working a pit to make some delicious BBQ so he could stay home with his loved ones instead of working for someone else.
    There was some confusion with the blinking square, it never went off, or they waited to serve the brown peeps after everyone else had been sat down, either way, eventually we went in.  We were celebrating Chub's birthday turning twelve and the menu said 11 and under $8.95, so we told all the boys to just shush and say they were 11, if asked.  12 and up meant paying $24.95 per kid, so we shan't be going back next year, not with a group of kids anyway.  The meal was awesome as always, plenty of meat kept coming until we all had our fill, I can never decide if I like the ribs or the brisket better, the sauce and the bread are also top notch.  I do like the sausage as well, but I worry about it giving me heartburn later so I don't eat too much of it.  For some reason, I am just thinking now about it, they will sell you a bottle of Big Red, but they don't have it as a fountain soda so you can't get refill after refill.  I am now jonesing for some Big Red that is chilled almost to freezing.  I am going to buy me some Big Red tomorrow.
    The night ended quietly back home, Chubs had his four extra boys in his room playing video games, we all pretty much in meat comas seating around not wanting to argue and debate as we most often do.  Boy missed all this as he worked a double shift, from 8:00am until 12:30am, almost 16 hours in one day, thanks to the new Harry Potter movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment