Friday, April 8, 2016

4/8/16 Do We Buy Quality Or Save Some Money?

    Boy asked when we were going to buy some decent luggage after he saw us loaded going to my Mom's house.  I fully had the idea to get all of us a top of the line Victorinox luggage to match our clothing choices.  I only got as far as Boy, and even the bag that was perfect in high school, does not fit him today.  Back when I thought I was going to buy one of each size bag, I started with the suitbag for him.  In high school, he took suits to school, 90% of the time.  We encouraged it, as I liked him dressing nice, if not a little weird for a high school kid.  Now in college, he has started dressing accordingly, which means beat up pants, and Affliction shirts.  He also likes the cowboy shirts with the pearl snaps for buttons and one type of boot or another.
    We went this weekend to Dillard's and we were going to buy something in luggage form, but the salesman would not give us a minute to breath.  He was all in our personal space and going out of his way to make sure we noticed every nuance in the bags.  His biggest mistake was when I mentioned my son already had a Victorinox bag, he said, oh yeah, that is a nicer bag than anything we have here.  He might as well have patted us on the back and said thank you for wasting everyone's time.  How can I buy inferior bags now?
    We are a couple months away from the summer, and I think Wife will go for it, as she is excited for the upcoming trip.  Our current travel bags are some cheapy ones we got for like $20, when you spend $100 at Disney.  The inner liner is torn, and some of the handles are starting to get loose.  We keep using them because they just go in our car and nobody really sees them.  I want to have bags I would be proud to take on a weekend to Vegas, someday, or even a cruise on a cruise line to Mexico.
    If the sales guy had not come all bull in a china shop on us, we might have bought some of the cheaper bags.  Wife is kind of a hippy in that she likes stuff that looks crappy.  I would rather have a leather bag costing $1000, where she would opt for some cheap cloth bag because it had a pretty color pattern on the outside.  Reba (the musician?), has a line of bags, and they are colorful, and Wife was drawn to them instantly, sales guy comes in saying I would stand behind every bag here, except the Reba line.  We've had a couple returns and they just don't seem as robust as some of the other brands.
    I don't know though.  The price on those Reba bags was in the $100s, the Victorinox bags are going to be more like $300 per bag.  Curious to see where we end up.  I did buy a leather bag for traveling once, but I filled it so tight, the zipper gave way.  I managed to return it, after paying like $500, you expect stuff to stay intact.  Wife might use this to get me into some more cheap shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment