Thursday, April 28, 2016

4/28/16 Delayed Gratification?

    I can't fault anyone for wanting things now.  I am just as guilty of this as the next person.  I am referring to delayed gratification, or the is the ability to resist the temptation for an immediate reward and wait for a later reward. Generally, waiting a while leads to much grander rewards.
    For us, it was my inability to put off sex which led to us having a kid much earlier than we would have liked or been ready.  I was still mildly immature to be a parent, but I did not have a choice, once Girlfriend (back then) decided I didn't have a choice.  It was a rough first few years when we got married.  I had a chip on my shoulder, I was supposed to be a doctor or somebody that mattered, not some freaking loser living on food stamps and having my parents help me pay rent in a shitty apartment that was fine for going to school but not to start out life as I expected it.  Gradually, I made peace with my failed dreams, I did my year in the warehouse, then a couple months at LCRA in their lab which should have been more fun, but it was too scripted (I don't know how most y'all do the boring 8-5 routine).
    Luckily, I did finish with a degree, after a little life growth, I landed a dream job at AMD, which was competing with Intel for dominance in the microprocessor world.  You can thank AMD for pushing the computing world to where it is.  If not for competition, Intel would still happily be putting out computers that cost $3000, running at a quarter the speed they do.
    Another example of not having the patience for delayed gratification is Girlie and her new car.  She keeps talking about going back to school, had a perfectly good shitty car that was paid off and ran well enough.  That wasn't good enough, she decided she wanted a new car, I guess her mom went and cosigned for her.  She is now driving in a too nice for a wet behind the ears 23 year old new car.  It has about all the gadgets my truck has and now instead of no car payment, she has a payment somewhere around $450 a month.  This is the kind of car a person starting a career might buy once they start a job that pays a decent wage.  When people are impatient on life, stuff like this happens.  Where I thought there might be a chance for school before, I don't see how she can afford the car, rent, and school on her meager salary.
    It happens to all of us.  We want it now, whatever it is.  I guess that is part of what separates those that find a way to succeed, and those that get bogged down by life.  Can you overcome your own self, sometimes you get in the way of your own success?

No comments:

Post a Comment