Saturday, April 9, 2016

4/10/16 Slowing Down Is Changing My Perspective?

    We have been dieting for going on two weeks, and I finally bought in and really want to see some change.  Yesterday, Chubs and I went and did our now becoming familiar routine of going to get snack stuff for his Friday sleepover, but he didn't really want junk food.  I spent some time looking for stuff I can eat that isn't high in calories but still enjoyable.  The easiest food to eat while dieting, for me, is tuna.  Tuna is mostly protein, very little fat, and no carbs.  I bought a bunch of those little vacuum baggies, and even got some salmon ones to try.  Wife wanted some diet green teas and I went overboard getting two cases of that along with some diet Snapple twelve packs.
    We then waited for Wife to get home, and we were going to go eat something, probably at the food court, but she had to finish something on the computer for work, so I sat and decided I would have a taste of my tuna, the pack said only 80 calories.  I opened it, and took some chips laying there, which added another 100 calories, one of the diet Snapples, an apple and an orange turned it all into a meal.  Before long, Chubs was eating something similar, and even Wife did the same thing.  We turned what would have cost easily over $30 at the food court and added over 1000 calories to each of us into a probably $10 expense and less than 500 calories for each of us.  We then headed to the mall, I was on my quest to go get the expensive luggage I had talked about yesterday, so I didn't even park at our usual spot.  I parked right outside Macy's, since I knew what I was there for.
    They had a huge area compared to Dillard's, and many different brands, but of course, I wanted the Victorinox name.  Wife ran off to the pretty bags, Chubs ran off to the shiny bags, and I found my name brand.  I about choked at the price, the standard 21" bag everyone uses was $370.  Wife wanted a larger size, so it would have been over $450.  Plus we talked of a smaller bag for all our toiletries and Chubs was going to get his own and that would have been another 21" bag at $370.  I wanted four and possibly five bags, but I didn't want the over $1200 cost.
    Wife tried getting me looking at the other brands, which is hard for me.  I am an idiot when it comes to name brands, on certain things, specially like this, where one may only buy them once ir twice in a lifetime.  I thought the blue color of the name brand really popped, but then Samsonite, another big name in bags, also had a blue set and this blue was prettier and shinier than the Victorinox, not to mention, like half the cost.  Suddenly, I was doing the math, and the four bags I was contemplating were going to be around $500.  A lot of money, but much more reasonable.  Chubs started fidgeting at this point, we went and got him a bubble tea, and before I knew it, we killed too much time at Spencer's plus his friend who was coming over for the sleepover called.  I decided I didn't want to rush into a purchase, so I left a little butthurt, but not poorer.
    As we left, Wife thought I was mad at her, but really, I was adding it up in my head.  Why spend a bunch of money?  We have our old Samsonite giant luggage bag, plus the cheapy ones from Disney might give us another year.  Maybe we just need a good new toiletry bag, that is the one with the torn liner and being the smallest size, it would be real cheap to just replace that one.
    So slowing down saved me some calories, which will help at weigh-in come Sunday, I am already seeing real pleasing results just from using this diet app for a week.  Plus taking a step back might have saved me $1000 I don't need to be spending.  We shall see, stuff like this rattles in my head until I solve it, so we might go back today and do the whole dance over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment